Memory leak

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
pbrad

Memory leak

Post by pbrad »

Hi,
I have been fighting a memory leak problem on a Windows Virtual Dedicated Server and the problem is becoming critical. I only have two small websites on a new server with lots of processing power and memory (512mb). Even with Aware running I have 110 mb of available memory after rebooting the server but after several hours, the available memory degrades to the point where the server won't run. ( 1 or 2mb) I have seen references on the web to memory leaks in Java applications and problems with the garbage collector (gc). Have you run up against this in the past and can you give me any tips on a methodology to solve this problem.
Thanks,
Pete
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Aware IM has been extensively tested for memory leaks. The first thing to find out is whether this is a genuine memory leak or just lack of memory. Even though, you may have plenty of available physical memory Aware IM allocates specific amounts of memory to its components (Aware IM server, Tomcat and JBoss) and these components will not use more than the maximum specified for them. So if your allocation is barely enough you may run out of memory at some point. In this case the solution is to allocate more startup memory.

See this thread http://www.awareim.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=831 for explanation where different memory settings for Aware IM components are specified.

Before you increate memory allocation it is important to find out specifically which component is running out of memory - this is very important both if it is a memory leak or lack of memory. You need to get the problem to happen and then check the output of all 3 components to see which one reports an OutOfMemory problem (or send the output to us for analysis).

When we know which component is running out of memory we will take it from there - either recommend to increase memory settings for this component or study the possibility of a memory leak.
Aware IM Support Team
pbrad

Post by pbrad »

Thanks for the response. I am getting a good market response to apps developed with your software and so I have decided to bite the bullet and upgrade from a virtual dedicated server with only 512 mb ram to a dedicated server with 2gb of ram so hopefully this won't be an issue on the new box. I will pursue this if it continues to be an issue but hopefully it won't.
Cheers,
Pete
aware_admin
Site Admin

Post by aware_admin »

If this is a genuine memory leak an upgrade to the dedicated server won't help. So unless you have other reasons to migrate I would investigate the issue further before upgrading.
pbrad

Post by pbrad »

Hi,
I just wanted to let you know that the memory leak does not seem to be related to Aware, it seems to be coming from the GoDaddy Plesk Admin Panel. The available memory degrades over time even when the aware server is not running. Luckily, I now have 2 gig of ram and can afford a little memory loss, now if I could just upgrade my own memory to solve the same problem.
Cheers,
Pete
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Thanks very much for the info. It is reassuring to know that the leak is not Aware IM-related.

Best Regards
Aware IM Support Team