Integrated QR Code Reader in Native Mobile App

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
DeFactoSA

Integrated QR Code Reader in Native Mobile App

Post by DeFactoSA »

Has anyone had any success with (or even attempted) integrating a QR code reader/scanner into a native mobile app?
Helen - AwareIM Dev Ed v9 - MySql - on Windows Server
himanshu

Re: Integrated QR Code Reader in Native Mobile App

Post by himanshu »

Yes, We did it..

Let me know what exactly you looking for.
From,
Himanshu Jain

AwareIM Consultant (since version 4.0)
DB: MYSQL, MSSQL
mrbdrm

Post by mrbdrm »

do you have to write JAVA plugin?
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

mrbdrm wrote:do you have to write JAVA plugin?
I have to say they had to access and connect to the Kendo UI QR component via Java & JS code, especially if the QR data needed to be stored in DB and retrieved back, since [sadly] Aware does not expose this and Bar-code component.

@Himanshu;
How much work was it to integrate it into Aware forms (Desktop and Mobile)? And was the integration only to display QR or did you also incorporate "Scanning" QR and save to DB?
himanshu

Post by himanshu »

@mrbdrm @Ben
There are two things one is to generate QR Code for existing data and other is too read that QR code. What I have accomplish in one of my project both, Generating QR code I have developed a Java plugin which integrates into AwareIM system and generate QR Image file, QR Image files are stored on server file folder structure and ref# is attached to related record in db.
Next, reading/scanning is done via native app which scans the QR code and process the data. On native app we have used a third party lib which gives the interface to implement into our project.

Is above statement complete your answer ? please let me know.
Thanks
From,
Himanshu Jain

BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

himanshu wrote:@mrbdrm @Ben
There are two things one is to generate QR Code for existing data and other is too read that QR code. What I have accomplish in one of my project both, Generating QR code I have developed a Java plugin which integrates into AwareIM system and generate QR Image file, QR Image files are stored on server file folder structure and ref# is attached to related record in db.
Next, reading/scanning is done via native app which scans the QR code and process the data. On native app we have used a third party lib which gives the interface to implement into our project.

Is above statement complete your answer ? please let me know.
Thanks
So, you did not use Kendo UI QR component? And that's why you had to generate QR Image file?
Why didn't you use Kendo UI component?

I can see why you had to go native on Mobile to scan the QR code.

Thanks!
himanshu

Post by himanshu »

@Ben, Yes I have not used yet and it was a long time back when Kendo was about to release but we needed at that moment. We will be soon upgrading the system and will evaluate how easy to go with Kendo UI.

Other scanning QR code is much easy well doing on native then non-native.

Did you done with Kendo UI something similar with QR?
From,
Himanshu Jain

BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

himanshu wrote:@Ben, Yes I have not used yet and it was a long time back when Kendo was about to release but we needed at that moment. We will be soon upgrading the system and will evaluate how easy to go with Kendo UI.

Other scanning QR code is much easy well doing on native then non-native.

Did you done with Kendo UI something similar with QR?
I had used the Kendo QR in ASP.Net to create the QR on the fly and worked great. I wish support would implement both QR and bare code. It's right in the library and very easy to use. There are so many features in Kendo that Aware isn't implementing.
DeFactoSA

Post by DeFactoSA »

I have some processes that depend on the app being able to scan the QR code and "read" whatever is embedded into the QR code (a unique serial number). Depending on the process it will then either perform a type of lookup based on the serial number or assign the serial number to an attribute in a BO instance that is in context. In my mind I picture a button which says "Scan Code". I tap the button and this triggers the "scanner", captures the serial number and then carries on to deliver whatever the relevant process output is. Now, where to begin?
Helen - AwareIM Dev Ed v9 - MySql - on Windows Server
lineamovil

Post by lineamovil »

Im looking for the same I think. I found this.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... dekbd.demo

Let me know what you think.
LineaMovil // Carlos Castillo
AwareIM Version 8.6
Windows Server 2021
MySQL Database 8.4
MEXICO
mrbdrm

Post by mrbdrm »

the funny thing is its so simple to do it now with just js :)

i have done it with another php mobile website. open the camera and read QR codes all from the browser no app needed. and php generate the QR code when i need.

gota love PHP and JS :D
lineamovil

Post by lineamovil »

Hi, Do you have a demo we can try?

If so, if there a way that we can arrange something?

You can contact me via PM.
LineaMovil // Carlos Castillo
AwareIM Version 8.6
Windows Server 2021
MySQL Database 8.4
MEXICO
mrbdrm

Post by mrbdrm »

i have put a quick test

https://shq-q.com/jsqrcode/QRtest.html

i have tested it with ios and android on the default browsers
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

i was trying to think of ways to use this...

1) thanks for posting this example
2) recently, we've been integrating with Twilio for SMS. We have a .war running on the Aware server. We use the Webhook method from Twilio. You GET to our .war and if it has the "right" codes in the right place, then it accepts that data. An Aware REST Service is listening and populates a NP BO with the data. A Process kicks in and then posts that temporary BO data into our application.

So, one idea that came to me was scanning a bunch of items, regardless of the type of code (i mean, doesn't have to be QRcode)
You could scan scan scan as quickly as possible with the handheld doing a simple HTTP GET to the WebHook and the backend can post all that data - like inventory/location scanning or something.

True, its one-way and you're not getting feedback, but it may come in handy. Basically could be implemented in 10 minutes using this front end. Just modify the .JS to push it to a specified URL. Neat.

jaymer...
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
mrbdrm

Post by mrbdrm »

im using it for a shop too.
all the seller do is scan with his phone browser and the full item info and availability shows and he can create invoice with multiple item scans (the traditional stuff)
you can make the customer do it with his phone since its a web page :D