How to PICK from Custom Query?

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
ORS61

How to PICK from Custom Query?

Post by ORS61 »

I have a process starting with PICK action which works as expected with Standart Query.

However, when using Custom Query there are no check boxes to pick a record. You can select row (highlight) but when click Continue nothing happens. I think without checkbox, system do not know the selected record.

CRM sample includes a mobile query for contact list (Custom Query) and in this query, there are check boxes for batch operations. So custom queries may have checkboxes, but not in PICK process.

Am I missing something or is it a limitation for Custom Query to use it with PICK action?

If it is, how can we add checkboxes to Custom Query for PICK process (may be both html and advanced script code required)?
pureist

Re: How to PICK from Custom Query?

Post by pureist »

Yes, PICK using a Custom Query doesn't seem to work, in that it doesn't seem to register one or more items are selected/picked.
Depending on what you want to do with the picked items, you can work around it by not using PICK, and instead using DISPLAY, in the process.
On the DISPLAYed custom query add a panel button which runs a process and set it to be 'Applicable to multiple items'.
The process can process the items selected.
When the panel button is selected an unavoidable system dialog will popup asking if you want cancel the current operation (current process), which will close the DISPLAYed query. and allow the panel button process to start
ORS61

Post by ORS61 »

Thanks for the suggestion. My process is starting with pick action, so I can use DISPLAY action (just DISPLAY action in process) instead of PICK. Also to avoid "Cancel current process" popup, it will be better to use second process (actions after PICK in my original process) in displayed query. I'll try that.
pureist

Post by pureist »

As I wrote, you won't be able to avoid the unavoidable cancel message and termination of the original process.
The new process invoked by selecting the query panel button which applies to multiple items will need to run, and to do so the first process must be terminated.
Additionally, if using a Custom Query, checkboxes will not appear when you add the query panel button which applies to multiple items.
The checkbox is on the item but is not visible, and is selected just by clicking the item.
Selecting multiple items' checkboxes happens via holding down the CTRL key while selecting items.
This is not a very 'elegant' solution/work around. A more elegant solution is to add a checkbox to each item directly in the HTML of the custom query. BUT, the originating process which DISPLAYed the query will still probably have to be terminated. Though at least the user would see checkboxes.
ORS61 wrote:Thanks for the suggestion. My process is starting with pick action, so I can use DISPLAY action (just DISPLAY action in process) instead of PICK. Also to avoid "Cancel current process" popup, it will be better to use second process (actions after PICK in my original process) in displayed query. I'll try that.
ORS61

Post by ORS61 »

You are right, I can not avoid "do you want to cancel current process" message. And this is not good for user experience.

So it's better live with Standard Query for PICK actions until @support add a built-in option or offers a solution how the add check boxes to Custom Queries for PICK.
pureist

Post by pureist »

there is a way to avoid the 'do you want to cancel the current process" message..
instead of running a process which DISPLAY's the custom query, directly run the custom query (output to popup).
when the query is displayed you can click elements to run their underlying processes (to flag items as having been picked) and then the user can close the query by clicking the close button.
BUT, their selections/'picks' will have to be 'live'/immediate in this case as there is no way to tell if the user wanted to cancel without applying their selections.
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

I think the "mobile" variation of the data template in a custom query does support checkboxes for selection
Aware IM Support Team
joben

Post by joben »

Some years have passed. Just wondering if this is still the situation that you can't pick items from a custom query?

EDIT: Didn't get it to work with the mobile custom query either.
I ended up using the query standard grid, then created a calculated column with line breaks (<br>) so I can both have the radio buttons from the PICK ONE OR MORE action and still have more than 1 line per item.
Regards, Joakim