How to update Runtime to latest version?

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
RentProperty

How to update Runtime to latest version?

Post by RentProperty »

Hi Guys.... So this will probably sound like a total noob question... But we've never actually done a version update on a freshly installed run time. We usually install a fresh latest version when we move servers.

I just want to confirm the best and correct way to do these updates. Here's how I see it. (Safest way)

- Log into awareIM and go to your licences. Click update on the one you want to update.
- Download the latest install file from there
- Rename the old AwareIM folder to something like (AwareIM - OLD) to preserve all customized Files, Login Pages, CSS files, custom plugins etc.
- Install the downloaded version in a new AwareIM directory.
- Copy and Apply the New Licence key (From the AwareIM website)
- Copy all custom files, plugins, login pages etc over from previous Directories.
- Update BassServer Props file etc

Is this the best and safest way to do it to ensure no data/settings loss? (I.e. to basically re-setup everything in a new AwareIM folder)

Thnx for any advice. We're updating a 7.0 runtime to 7.1 on Friday.
Hein Hanekom & Werner Hanekom
Sinov8.net
AwareIM Version 5.9 | 6.0 | 7.0 | 7.1 (Windows EC2 R2012 & MySQL)
kklosson

Re: How to update Runtime to latest version?

Post by kklosson »

That is exactly how I do it. Keep an eye on one thing. Up until V7, the installation would put a file called app.bsv in the auto_deployment folder. I mentioned this to Support and it went away. He never said that he fixed it, so I just watch for that. Otherwise, your plan is on the money.
V8.8
MySQL, AWS EC2, S3
PDFtk Toolkit
RentProperty

Re: How to update Runtime to latest version?

Post by RentProperty »

Awesome, Thanks Kingsley. Will keep an eye out for that one.
Hein Hanekom & Werner Hanekom
Sinov8.net
AwareIM Version 5.9 | 6.0 | 7.0 | 7.1 (Windows EC2 R2012 & MySQL)