Questions with New Tab Features

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
BLOMASKY

Questions with New Tab Features

Post by BLOMASKY »

We now have a bunch of new options when a process is open in a new tab. some questions.
1. "Start Process when user Selects Tab". What is in context? Assume I have a query with a button that will open a new tab. That button takes the current record as the one in context. Is this saved somewhere? If not, assuming I am on customer #1 and press the button to open a tab, then I go to customer #2 and press the same button, I now have 2 tabs open. When I go back to the tab opened for customer #1, I need to run a process to FIND that customer and do lotsa stuff. How is this accomplished.

2. We can use the ID in the close tab action, however the close tab only accepts a STRING LITERAL. In my case, using the query above, I want to allow the user to only open 1 tab per customer selected. Therefore, I would like to assign the customerID to any tab that is opened and have code like CLOSE TAB <<LoggedInRegularUser.selectedCustomer.ID>> in the process that opens the tab. (therefore, only closing the tab that was opened for this customer. I am clueless how to accomplish this. (ticking the "do not open tab if tab already opened" wont work, since I want the user to be able to open 1 tab for every different customer selected.

Thanks
Bruce
aware_support

Re: Questions with New Tab Features

Post by aware_support »

Code: Select all

1. "Start Process when user Selects Tab". What is in context? Assume I have a query with a button that will open a new tab. That button takes the current record as the one in context. Is this saved somewhere? 
The context of the information displayed by the selected tab is preserved and given to the process (if it has this context declared as input). For example, if a tab shows a form of the Customer object and the process takes Customer as it's input the Customer displayed by the selected tab will be given to the process, so the process can say something like that:
DISPLAY MESSAGE 'Congratulations, you have selected Customer ' + Customer.Name

Code: Select all

I am clueless how to accomplish this. (ticking the "do not open tab if tab already opened" wont work, since I want the user to be able to open 1 tab for every different customer selected.
This is the whole idea of the "do not open tab if tab if it is already opened". If you tick this option there will always be only one tab per different customer. Now I don't understand how and why you would use CLOSE TAB in this scenario, but if you do want to close a tab for a particular customer from a process you can do it using the new EXEC_SCRIPT command (the Rule Language Guide has an example of closing a tab with a particular id). Maybe we can make it easier as well and allow expressions in CLOSE TAB
Aware IM Support Team
BLOMASKY

Post by BLOMASKY »

You said: This is the whole idea of the "do not open tab if tab if it is already opened". If you tick this option there will always be only one tab per different customer.

I don't understand the "different customer" . With my testing, if I have this ticked, I can select the 1st customer and it will open the tab, if the tab is still open, if I select a 2nd customer, it will NOT open another tab. If I close the one for the 1st customers, then I can open the tab for the second customer.

What I would like to accomplish is that EACH customer can have a tab open, but only 1 per customer. This way the end user can multi-task. They can select customer #1, open their detail tab, go back to the query, select customer #2, and open THEIR detail tab. Now I will have 3 tabs. The original query and the 2 different detail tabs.

Can this be done?

Thanks
Bruce
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

This is not how it is supposed to work. It is supposed to open exactly one tab per different customer. So either there is a bug or there is something specific to your application that causes the system to work differently. We'll have a look at your BSV
Aware IM Support Team
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

In your BSV a record was opened by a process and the process displayed a layout. This scenario was not supported in build 2235. We have now released build 2236 with the fix.
Aware IM Support Team
rbross

Post by rbross »

Bruce, this sound just like what I am trying to accomplish when a Donation Header records is selected. I want a new tab to open to show the donation detail info.
Roger Ross
AwareIM 8.7 (build 3025) ~ MS-SQL ~ Windows 10 ~
AwareIM 8.5 (build 2828) ~ MS-SQL ~ Windows 10 ~