ADO database connection string

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
twhitehurst

ADO database connection string

Post by twhitehurst »

Can I use an ADO connection string to push data into Aware (Cloudscape/Dery or SQL)?

If so, what would that string be?
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

You mean bypassing Aware IM altogether?

You cannot use ADO with Derby. Derby is a purely Java database and only has Java interface (let me know if you want any details on how to connect to Derby from Java). Keep in mind, though, that Derby only allows one application to connect to it at a time, so if you want to push data into Derby bypassing Aware IM you need to shutdown Aware IM when you are doing this. It might be safer and easier to write a Java plug-in into Aware IM instead.
Aware IM Support Team
twhitehurst

Thanks for the reply

Post by twhitehurst »

I am trying to workout a process for collecting data via a PDA and the get it into Aware in a simple manner. I know I can use TCP/IP or other channel but I'm unsure of how to make sure the data being sent is not a duplicate of the data in the system? Just trying to explore ideas for extending Aware to a PDA?
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

You can do the following to check uniqueness of the data:

1) Add an attribute to your business object that will store a unique identifier of the record. When creating data on a PDA make sure that this data is initialised appropriately.

2) Add a rule that will reject a new record if it is a duplicate of the existing record:

If EXISTS MyObject WHERE (MyObject.UniqueDataID = ThisMyObject.UniqueDataID AND MyObject.ID <> ThisMyObject.ID) Then
REPORT ERROR 'Data already exists'

3) If you are going to be importing data using CSV files make sure that the "validate data" option is enabled - in this case duplicate records will be ignored.
Aware IM Support Team