Importing data from other application

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
joselv

Importing data from other application

Post by joselv »

I've read the user guide, I have watched the import/export templates video and I have searched the forum.

I cannot wrap my head around how to get my data into my newly created application in AIM.

My data is currently in a MySQL db. It has lots of relationships. I just don't understand how AIM gets this imported.

What I understand so far:
* When importing data into AIM application, the old primary keys are not used. AIM creates a new set of PKs.
* AIM uses some type of relationship import that I do not understand.

The user guide just does not make it clear to me how this works. The video uses a simple example, but does not really go into a more complicated example of importing many tables with related data.

Is there a step by step tutorial that walks through this process for importing many related tables? Support, I think it would be helpful to add a video that specifically covers this.
Jose
CalD

Re: Importing data from other application

Post by CalD »

Sounds like you are going to text files to import data from? Why not access the db directly and write a process or processes to pull the data you want in and build the proper aware relationships as you go?

Much faster and less work than dumping stuff to text and reading it back in...
joselv

Post by joselv »

I have shied away from the DB because I am not totally familiar with the way AIM manages it. I dont want to mess anything up.

I dont think I saw anything in the docs that goes into detail how to work directly in the DB. I agree, it would be MUCH easier! :)
Jose
CalD

Post by CalD »

AIM wont manage an external DB, you do it manually, if you are just reading data out of tables and creating the AIM objects I would suggest you set up an environment to have a test and work it out.
Its not as scary as it seems... you could even setup a user to access the existing database that only has read access, that way you can be secure that you won't be breaking the data...
RocketRod

Post by RocketRod »

You do have the option of adding your tables/views as BOs with persistence external DB. Then just write a process(s) to create your new AIM BO data restructuring the original data as your needs require.

Cheers Rod
joselv

Post by joselv »

Ok,

I went back and CAREFULLY read the user guide MULTIPLE times and FINALLY got it!

So far, it is super easy now. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Jose