Database Structure Question

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
twhitehurst

Database Structure Question

Post by twhitehurst »

If I am running multiple Business spaces on a server, is there a way to differentiate what dat file (database) goes with each Business Space? I want to be able to do backups of the datafiles and understand how the database files are being handled. Are all business spaces actually held in a single dat file? Are they separate databases? If so, how can I identify what file goes with what space for backup purposes?

Thanks
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

If you are running Derby database there is no way to distinguish which business space goes where - the Derby file structure is not transparent.

Things are a little easier if you are using MySQL, which has one file per database table and the table name includes the name of the business space. But even MySQL I think has some other non-transparent files and it's not a good idea to try to backup individual files based on their names.

Generally Aware IM manages two databases - for main operation and for testing. All business spaces are contained within these databases. The name of each database table has a prefix corresponding to the business space. But again databases usually do not map tables to files directly.

The bottom line is if you are running multiple business spaces on one server at the moment you can only reliably backup the whole database.
Aware IM Support Team