a suggestion for user definable data types

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
BLOMASKY

a suggestion for user definable data types

Post by BLOMASKY »

With the latest build, there is a teeny weeny bug where numbers with format of #,##0 have the comma in the wrong place, but ###,###0 work fine. So, a suggestion that saved a lot of time when designing and modifying applications in Magic would fit SO well in Aware.

User Definable Data Types

Where, I can create data types with size, formatting, alignment, etc. and just like when I use a Shortcut or a relationship in an attribute design, I could use a user defined data type.

Currently, if I create a numeric field, I have to go to the edit box to change the number of digits and decimal places
then go to presentation to change the 20 symbol size to something more reasonable, add a style with right justification, etc. etc. Takes a while when creating a lot of numeric columns. Would be very fast and more manageable to just assign attributes to a UDDT

ok, was just my 0.02 cents worth

Bruce
BenHayat

Re: a suggestion for user definable data types

Post by BenHayat »

I loved that feature of Magic!
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

If I had to do 50 of those numeric fields, Bruce, I'd do a couple, then export, edit the XML, and reimport. Voila !!!
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

This solution doesn't seem to work when the value is higher than 100,000. For 1,000,000 you need to set the formatting to ###,###,##0 I am guessing this continues on the higher you go.

Seems like a bug when the old formatting of #,##0 worked just fine as documented in the guide.
-Bryan
Version 8 (Build 2358)
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Kendo UI seems a little buggy as far as the thousands separator is concerned.

If you look at their documentation there is a numeric format called "n". It can be used in Aware IM as well. Surprisingly, the thousands separator works perfectly for this format, but it enforces two numbers after the decimal point. You can use this format if you don't mind two decimal numbers.
Aware IM Support Team
BLOMASKY

Post by BLOMASKY »

Is there a ZERO decimal format? Cause, I need comma's a lot for integers

thanks
Bruce
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

One possibility is to try a combination of "n" and "decimals". From the Kendo UI description it follows that this should work, but in my quick tests it didn't - number of decimals were always two for the "n" format.

So most probably you will have to stick with the ###,### format
Aware IM Support Team
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

I am currently in the process of updating all of my number type attributes that need it to ###,###,###,##0. Not the ideal solution because I am afraid I will miss some (export to xml keep failing for me). For the ones that require decimal i am using the format ###,###,###,##0.00 this seems to be working so far.
-Bryan
Version 8 (Build 2358)
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Update I have adjusted all of my numbers that needed it to the format ###,###,###,##0 and those with decimals to ###,###,###,##0.00 which displays just fine from the edit page of an object. When shown within grids however, this formatting seems to truncate the value. For Example, 100,000 when shown in a grid becomes 100.
-Bryan
Version 8 (Build 2358)
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

So i just changed one from the format ###,###,###,##0 to simply ###. This allows the value to show properly in the grid.

So 100,234 is now show correct but then with this formatting if you navigate to the object the value is shown as 100234 with no comma.

Err can't win at this point. Seem you can have it display either in the grid properly or in the object but not both.
-Bryan
Version 8 (Build 2358)