Kendo expansiveness - We need a classic theme

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
ACDC

Kendo expansiveness - We need a classic theme

Post by ACDC »

One of the problems with the Kendo UI or V7.00 when it comes to designing business apps is the layout of forms and grids takes up far to much real estate. For example the grid row has far to much white space allocated taking up twice as much space as the Extjs grid. On forms, the space between attributes is spread out as though there is a never ending supply of real estate. Most of my users run off laptops, with 15 inch screens and I am finding to convert to V7, there is one hell of a conversion that needs to be carried out

The current theme customization is very basic and does not let you change grid height and attribute spacing on forms etc etc . So the only way to get around this problem is to get down and dirty and design your own theme from scratch. ( I am not sure if this will work either)

I am all for the new modern minimalist sexy look, but it does not make sense with complex business apps. The world does not consist totally of Touch based applications. The Kendo UI themes attempts to bring these two dynamics into one.

SUPPORT, There is a font size in the theme setup, please will support consider adding some more options to the font size option ,so we can reduce the white space around the font if reducing its size. Also a default grid row height is necessary to allow more rows to appear in the grid, not to mention the over sized grid panel header

Also the large clunky button on the right of the grid does not work for me, it takes up space and its designed for Touch , I don't do touch in this app ! I want to have a simple elegant operation icon like it is in V6.0

In most cases I prefer the V6.0 themes for business apps, basically we need a "Classic Theme" to restore order .....well at least in my world
BenHayat

Re: Kendo expansiveness - We need a classic theme

Post by BenHayat »

I will let Support answer your questions and requests, but I have one question for you. Did you try every single theme in Aware (not in Kendo UI ThemeBuilder)? If not, you should try every theme to see which one fits you best.

My personal preference has come to two Themes: Office365 for least amount of lines (mostly for Mobile) and Silver with the cleanest look for Desktop.
Stay away From Nova, where it consumes too much space.

Hope this helps!
customaware

Post by customaware »

I agree Ben.

Silver with font set to 11 pretty much gets me to where I want to
be size wise.

Also, you can fix the button issue with a bit of css which works well.
Cheers,
Mark
BLOMASKY

Post by BLOMASKY »

Silver or Kendo works for me. Esp. when i dont have button inline (which double the size of each grid row).

Bruce
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

All Kendo UI themes are dependent on font size - if you reduce the font size EVERYTHING is reduced, not just the font (this is achieved by using "em" units in CSS).

So, as others have already said, you can achieve very ergonomic layouts with just changing the theme and font size. If this is not enough you can easily overwrite some settings in the theme in your own CSS file - you don't need to create the entire theme. This is pretty easy to do - just use the browser inspector.

Not sure which "clunky" button you are referring to, but if it's the popdown button that displays multiple item operations, then it's look and feel has been improved in build 2133 - it used to occupy too much space due to a bug.
Aware IM Support Team