The Ultimate SAAS Database Solution

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
RentProperty

The Ultimate SAAS Database Solution

Post by RentProperty »

Hi Guys!!!

Looks like amazing has designed the ultimate database solution for SAAS products. This is what we all have been waiting for.

5 x the perfomance of mySQL
1/10 of the price of comercial Databases
Auto Backups in S3
100% MySQL Compatible

read about it here:
http://aws.amazon.com/rds/aurora/
http://www.slideshare.net/AmazonWebServ ... zon-aurora
http://www.infoworld.com/article/284698 ... mysql.html

I think this would be amazing and will get rid of tons of sleepless nights and scaling hurdles.

Support... since this I do believe this will be the way of the future and since it is already MySQL compatible... Please
advise what would be required to do... and if you could consider supporting Aurora in your next major release!

Kindest Regards

Hein
Hein Hanekom & Werner Hanekom
Sinov8.net
AwareIM Version 5.9 | 6.0 | 7.0 | 7.1 (Windows EC2 R2012 & MySQL)
rocketman

Re: The Ultimate SAAS Database Solution

Post by rocketman »

+1 I just got the same email and was about to post to ask whether anyone is using Aurora and how to connect
Rocketman

V8.7 Developer Edition. Server 2016 Standard edition. MySql 5.5
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

If it is 100% compatible then either it should just work out-of-the-box or you need to find the JDBC driver for this database (maybe the provide one already). Once you have the JDBC driver, then you just need to update AwareIM/bin/BASServer.props to use this driver.
Aware IM Support Team
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

The new specs sounds real great. 64TB storage limit is going to kill Azure's SQL.
I'm sure Amazon, will provide a JDBC provider, if they haven't already. And being part of the RDS group makes it even better now.

Thank you guys for sharing.
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

As of now, any search on JDBC for Aurora, comes out empty. So, I wonder who is supposed to make that driver? Amazon or Oracle or independent third party? You would think Amazon would provide a Java Driver/provider to their new Database.
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

Looking at the pricing structure and more info of Aurora, it seems it's designed for high volume data applications, compared to using MySQL for small to medium range apps. But it's a great solution to move UP from MySQL to a full size DB.
ACDC

Post by ACDC »

It seems Aurora is My Sql but with a super infrastructure behind it. Maybe the standard jdbc connector will work in its present form. Is there someone in the forum already using Amazon that can try publish one of the sample apps to verify this ?
RentProperty

Post by RentProperty »

Ok Guys... So here's the good news.

We played around with this for a day and Aurora Actually Works straight out of the box! :-) :-)
This is definitely going to be our go to for our next big project. I am not a AWS expert at all (We have someone else managing that for us) but I have my own account where I play around sometimes and set up tests servers and so forth, so here is what we did to get an aurora DB working with an Aware Application Also hosted on EC2, just for couple hours to play around etc:

1) In AWS under the Database Section Select RDS

2) Create a Parameter Group and Edit the Following Settings:
Set Max Allowed Packet to 1073741824 (Not sure if this is necessary. We do this by Default)
Set log_bin_trust_function_creators to 1

3) Under instances, Follow the steps to launch an Aurora Instance and Select the parameter Group You've Set Up.

4) In AwareIM Controle Panel Under The Database Section
- Put in the Database Username & Password that you specified when creating the Database instance
- At Machine name put in the - AWS EndPoint (Example: sinov8testdb-cluster.cluster-c412232fsdoxhe.eu-west-2.rds.amazonaws.com)
- Port 3306

Restart AwareIM... Worked for us Just like normal MySQL. After Publishing a test businessSpace I connected to the DB with Workbench and checked that all the tables were created. Seemed Fine. Logged into my app and did couple of things to test. Seems like everything is working!!! This is super awesome! Cannot wait to launch our next big app on this.

Because you pay per hour of use we only started it up for 2 hours to get it working. Thus I didn't have any data to do benchmark testing etc. Just wanted to see if we can get it to work. And it did!

As I Said, I am not a technical platform guy, so please don't ask advise of anything deeper than what I did above as I wouldn't know! LOL Still learning as far as that is concerned. For test purposes I open all the ports etc just to make it easier so It's not a very secure setup. But If anyone else want to fool around feel free to give it a try.

PS:

To Connect With Workbench

Create new connection
By Host put in the AWS EndPoint
Put in Database UserName & Password.

Kind Regards & Hope you all have an awesome day!
Hein Hanekom & Werner Hanekom
Sinov8.net
AwareIM Version 5.9 | 6.0 | 7.0 | 7.1 (Windows EC2 R2012 & MySQL)
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

Great news Hein;

Amazon is doing things right. We'll start with the the standard MySQL first then move over to Aurora after public ßeta.
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

Great stutt Hein. Thanks for sharing.
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)
customaware

Post by customaware »

Cheers,
Mark
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

eagles9999 wrote:Interesting article.....

http://izoratti.blogspot.com/2014/11/it ... forms.html
Nice find!
RLJB

Post by RLJB »

Can anyone confirm if they are using Aurora in a production environment? And if so, happy with performance, stability and playing nicely with Aware? Tks.
Rod. Aware 8.6 (latest build), Developer Edition, on OS Linux (Ubuntu) using GUI hosted on AWS EC2, MYSQL on AWS RDS
customaware

Post by customaware »

Haven't tried Aurora as they do not have a cheap test version.

But have tried MariaBD and could not establish a connection to it.
I most likely have done something wrong so will let you know if I get it working.
Cheers,
Mark
RLJB

Post by RLJB »

ok thanks.

I didn't realise that Aurora isn't available in Aus currently - that's a show stopper for us anyways.

In US the Aurora monthly pricing is $110/mth if paid in advance for a year. RDS MySQL is $90/mth for a medium instance. Excluding storage. While this is not massive, it isn't insignificant when you're running 4-5 prod servers.
Rod. Aware 8.6 (latest build), Developer Edition, on OS Linux (Ubuntu) using GUI hosted on AWS EC2, MYSQL on AWS RDS