Search Objects

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
daz

Search Objects

Post by daz »

I am just getting started and really like what I see so far. I have two questions at this point.
1. From the Visual perspectives / Menu / Standard / Search Objects - how do I control what attributes show using this search and the order of the attributes in the displayed table?

2. I have created an inventory business space with several locations. Two business objects: Items, Members. There is an attribute that identifies which location an item belongs to. I also have members from each location that manage the entry and editing of inventory items. Is there a way for me to set a rule or something that will limit a member from location A to only see inventory items from location A?
aware_support2

Post by aware_support2 »

> 1. From the Visual perspectives / Menu / Standard / Search Objects - how do I control what attributes show using this search and the order of the attributes in the displayed table?
To specify the desired attributes to display and the sort order, please define a query. Then in Menu / Standard / Search Objects select Run Query option and the name of the query you defined. Also, in the visual perspective you can add a new menu item of type Run Query to run your query directly without having to use the generic command Standard / Search Objects.

> 2. I have created an inventory business space with several locations. Two business objects: Items, Members. There is an attribute that identifies which location an item belongs to. I also have members from each location that manage the entry and editing of inventory items. Is there a way for me to set a rule or something that will limit a member from location A to only see inventory items from location A?
Yes. You can add a rule like the one below to object Items. The rule assumes that both objects Items and Members have attribute Location:

If TYPE(LoggedInSystemUser) = 'Members' AND Items.Location<>LoggedInMembers.Location
Then READ PROTECT Items FROM ALL

As a general note, since object rules work on a particular object instance, the rules may be easier to read if objects have singular names. For example, consider renaming object Members to Member and Items to Item. This is unlike other database systems where tables often have plural names. In Aware IM, however, an object represents a business concept, so it may be more intuitive to refer to it (in rules and elsewhere) using a singular name. Then the protection rule would look like this:

If TYPE(LoggedInSystemUser) = 'Member' AND Item.Location<>LoggedInMember.Location
Then READ PROTECT Item FROM ALL
Aware IM Support Team
daz

Post by daz »

OK, this rule seems to work fine. But I need to modify it to accommodate district level users. Right now if I have a user Member.Location=A, then they can see only Item.Location=A and that is what I want. But I also have some users Member.Location=All that I want to be able to see and access all the Items for all the sites. How do I modify the rule?

Thanks for the help. This program is awsome.
aware_support2

Post by aware_support2 »

Your modified rule would look like this:

If TYPE(LoggedInSystemUser) = 'Member' AND LoggedInMember.Location<>'All' AND Item.Location<>LoggedInMember.Location
Then READ PROTECT Item FROM ALL
Aware IM Support Team