Amazon RDS Questions (Relational Database Services)

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
cchappell

Amazon RDS Questions (Relational Database Services)

Post by cchappell »

I have a few questions about Amazon Relational Database Service. Hope someone could share their experience.

1. I know there are RDS users on the forum. I’m curious if any of you use the Multi-AZ capability? If so, what are experiences? How long does it take for the failover to occur. How does AwareIM cope while the Fail Over is occuring?

2. If you are only using Single Availability Zone, what type of uptime do you get? I did a little research and I see Amazon has an SLA only for multi az configurations. And the SLA is that they won’t be down more than 22 mintues per month. So that sort of implies Single AZ would be worse? What is your take on this?

3. I assume AwareIM should always be in the same AZ as RDS? Is anyone using Aware Server in a different AZ than RDS? If so, how’s that working for you?

4. I assume you have to schedule and run the MYSQL integrity checks? Meaning Amazon doesn’t do this for you?

5. Could anyone using Amazon RDS comment on the size of there database. Have you to tested restoring a backup. I’m curious how long it would take to recover from failure. I know that is dependent on database size and how fastyour server instance is.

6. Also, has anyone used Microsoft’s Azure SQL data service. If so, what was you experience? I could be understanding it wrong but I think Azure SQL data service can break connections and fail over while MS redistributes database work loads and might require programming the client side for that, which I assume would not be good for AwareIM. I could be wrong. I mainly in the research stage comparing AWS to Azure.

Any feedback on these questions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris Chappell