New and Editing Forms

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
denisv

New and Editing Forms

Post by denisv »

I have a business object with only one view for both New and Editing. I have a lot of rules for this form.

I understand it is better to use a different form for Editing and Creation.

The rules seem to be associated with the object and not the form. Does this meant that Aware decides only to fire 'IS NEW' type rules for creation and 'WAS CHANGED' type rules for editing automatically ?
aware_support2

Post by aware_support2 »

Business rules are attached to objects - not forms. The system evaluates all rules for an object whenever the object is created or changed. Condition 'IS NEW' is TRUE only when an object is created. Condition 'WAS CHANGED' is TRUE when an object/attribute is actually changed, which can also happen during object creation, for example when initializing an attribute (the original value was UNDEFINED).

It does not matter which forms are used to create or change an object. Objects can be created by rules without using any forms at all. You need to specify appropriate conditions for each object rule if you want to control when the rule's actions are executed.
Aware IM Support Team
denisv

Post by denisv »

THank you,

Therefore, if I have a lot of rules on an object it makes no difference whether I have a form for creating and one for editing.

The benefit of the different form views is more for a customised look per access level or certain processes that should only be run under certain circumstances ?
aware_support2

Post by aware_support2 »

Using different forms for entering and editing of an object may be useful even within the same access level. For example, there may be auto-calculated or other attributes that are initialized only after an object is created so it does not make sense to display them on the entry form.

Another example is where a multi-sectioned form with sequential navigation is used for entry to guide the user through all sections. Once the object is created it can be displayed using a tabbed form where the user can freely switch between tabs.
Aware IM Support Team