Data Import

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
denisv

Data Import

Post by denisv »

Is CSV the only type of data format that can be used to import into AwareIM.

If so, how has anyone handled the case where memo type fields from other systems will often contain commas as the user types them in.
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

At the moment CSV is the only import file format Aware IM supports, but the format is very flexible and it does support commas inside the text. The text that has commas has to be enclosed in quotation marks:

some text, "some text, with comma",more text

Also have a look how Excel saves is CSV - Aware IM does the same.
Aware IM Support Team
denisv

Post by denisv »

Thanks. The data I need to import has 198000 records and excel unable to handle it. Therefore I am using SQL qyery result window to save it. That doesn't let you add the txt identifier. I will need to find anoter way.
ab042

Post by ab042 »

FYI: If your using MSsql it has an EXPORT option that will create a CSV file with quoted delimited fields.

It is called Data Transformation Services and if my memory is correct you need to use the Destination type "TEXT FILE" and then it gives you how you want to delimit.
denisv

Post by denisv »

THankyou.

I am using MSSQL and have successfully set-up the necessary DTS routines for the exports whilst also being able to reformat data needed for the Timestamp fields in the Aware system.

Is there any future plans to allow other import sources such as ODBC connected databases ?
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Yes,we are planning to connect to more data sources in the near future.
Aware IM Support Team