Wishlist: charts on forms

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
RLJB

Wishlist: charts on forms

Post by RLJB »

Would like to be able to add charts into forms - same as we do for gauge but also for line/bar charts too.

Would very much like to create some mini dashboard style charts embedded within the form.
Rod. Aware 8.6 (latest build), Developer Edition, on OS Linux (Ubuntu) using GUI hosted on AWS EC2, MYSQL on AWS RDS
hpl123

1+

Post by hpl123 »

1+ for this idea, this would be ideal.

Another thing I have thought about, is it possible to get a chart through a report to display in some way on a form? or using the fusion charts tutorials to get charts on forms that way? Anyone tried any of these?
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)
RLJB

Post by RLJB »

We used to use fusion charts extensively (flash version), they are great and have a heap of options But come with 2 major drawbacks...

1. They are flash and won't display on ipad

2. They are more time consuming to configure (in built aware charts are much much faster to build)
Rod. Aware 8.6 (latest build), Developer Edition, on OS Linux (Ubuntu) using GUI hosted on AWS EC2, MYSQL on AWS RDS
nlarson

Post by nlarson »

you can use Google charts on a form by passing form data as a <<bo.attrib>> parameter in the advanced script. Nice flash free charting.

https://developers.google.com/chart/
RLJB

Post by RLJB »

Hi nlarson

Can you give us a few more steps about how to do that? I haven't tried the advanced script yet, but I'm curious and would like to use this.

Thanks

Rod
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

You can also put charts on forms by representing references as charts - this is available as a presentation option for multiple references.
Aware IM Support Team
RLJB

Post by RLJB »

Thanks support - that is a good idea (and we didn't think of it before!)

nlarson can you still tell us how to get the Advanced Script on the form working, I just spent a while playing with it and no good, it just breaks our form (ie the form will not open)
nlarson

Post by nlarson »

I will post a google example in tips shortly.
RocketRod

Post by RocketRod »

Very interested in this too. Looking forward to your sample. Cheers rod
nlarson

Post by nlarson »

Sorry to say, I ran into an issue where Aware executes the script after the full page load, where as Goggle API wants the script fired prior to onload or jquery ready. The result is that the chart fires but all the html gets wiped out by a late document.write.

There are some potential work arounds but my JS is not strong enough to work around it and Support will only look at it as an hourly custom project. Given the level of interest and the wide applicability of this type of integration It think it is worth a look, but meh... my days of funding features are in the rear view.

Anyone with stronger JS skills who wants to take a shot, where are two posts which describe the issue and suggested solutions.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... MKJcyA2yyI

http://www.vijayjoshi.org/2010/01/19/ho ... d-loading/
(This article outlines a solution applied to Google Maps, but it is the same issue since both use the google.load function.)
RLJB

Post by RLJB »

Thanks for the investigation work nlarson.

I wonder if other js charts would work, like amcharts.com, I might give it a try.

I don't have much spare cash for custom work at the moment either, and I wonder if the money wouldn't be better spent on asking support to prioritise improving the existing charts within aware. Perhaps a kick start project?

My opinion is they are the easiest way to chart, they good for basic charts but when you need to do a dashboard (every client wants a dashboard these days) there are some failings, for example:

1. The colours don't work on a stacked bar (you set them but they get ignored)

2. You can't control the hover over (tool tip) message enough, it would be good to be able to use an attribute and even html in the attribute to control what gets displayed

3. Stacked bar charts can't be combined with other chart types, eg a stacked bar with a line chart would be very very helpful

4. Some of the other more exotic charts simply do not work, tool tips etc. this is another post

What are other peoples thoughts on this?
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Listing all problems with existing charts would be quite helpful, so thanks RJB.

Some of them could be bugs, so if you prepare a BSV that demonstrates the problems we would definitely investigate what we can do for the next version.
Aware IM Support Team
nlarson

Post by nlarson »

Other chart packages may work I am currently researching that, certainly flash-based components will work but that limits you to non iOS devices.

Google charts are Best in class, free, flexible and very very very easy to integrate with. The only reason it can't be done now in less than two minutes is because we cannot use <script> tags, and/or We are limited to script implementation post-form render.

Improvements to the current charts this is similar to the reporting tool in that it's making improvements to a very limited tool. Aware could spend a massive amount of time just trying to get options and variety which will always do A fraction of what a Quick integration would do, and since they are based on ExtJS they will continue to look primitive by comparison. At some point the return on investment just isn't very high for improving existing charts.

https://developers.google.com/chart/int ... cs/gallery
nlarson

Post by nlarson »

Aside from the official charts linked above here are some community contribution examples.

https://developers.google.com/chart/int ... ore_charts
Rennur

Post by Rennur »

Are the out-of-box ExtJS charts buggy or is it that Google Charts simply provide more variety?

Google Charts don't work offline.