Crystal Reports?

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
pduff

Crystal Reports?

Post by pduff »

Does anyone use Crystal Reports to access the data generated by AwareIM... if so, how? I am using the standard (Derby) installation and cannot figure out how/where to connect to my data with Crystal XI.
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Crystal Reports allows you to connect to a data source such as Derby via JDBC. The following document from Crystal Reports explains the process in details: http://support.businessobjects.com/comm ... ctions.pdf

This document explains how to connect to SQL Server using JDBC. Connecting to Derby is very similar. Note that the JDK and Derby JDBC driver come as part of Aware IM installation.

Basically you need to modify the Crystal Reports CRConfig.xml file to include Derby parameters:

1) Point <JavaDir> parameter to AwareIMRoot/JDK/bin:
<JavaDir>C:\AwareIM\JDK\bin</JavaDir>

2) Add AwareIMRoot/Tomcat/shared/lib/derby.jar to the <ClassPath> parameter (this is Derby JDBC driver):
<ClassPath>...;c:\AwareIM\Tomcat\shared\lib\derby.jar

3) Modify <JDBCURL> parameter to point to Derby URL:
<JDBCURL>jdbc:derby:BASDB</JDBCURL>
(to connect to the main data) or
<JDBCURL>jdbc:derby:BASDBTEST</JDBCURL>
(to connect to the test data in testing mode)

4) Modify <JDBCClassName> parameter:
<JDBCClassName>org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver</JDBCClassName>

Then you will be able to create a report with a data source pointing to the Derby database. When selecting the data source in the Crystal Reports environment choose JDBC/JNDI
Aware IM Support Team
pduff

Post by pduff »

Thanks for your response. I have modified the CRConfig.xml file as shown but am still unable to connect. I get a "Database 'BASDB' not found" error when I try to select the JDBC(JNDI) connection. Crystal also asks for a user id and password... would this be the password I use to login to my app?
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Sorry, one important piece of information was missing in our previous reply. You need to set a directory where Derby will be looking for its databases. This directory is AwareIMRoot/DATA, where AwareIMRoot is the directory where you installed Aware IM.

You need to set an environment variable called DERBY_INSTALL to point to this directory. For example,

SET DERBY_INSTALL=c:\AwareIM\DATA

Can you try empty user name and password?
Aware IM Support Team