Connection Quality

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
denisv

Connection Quality

Post by denisv »

Is there any guidline for the bandwidth of Aware on a WAN. I have installed an eval on a site and allocated 96MB to the app. On the immediate network the performance is fine, in a second location it is significantly poorer. I could look at increasing the allocated memory to Aware but I'm concerned that might not be the only pronlem (have asked client to supply WAN details).
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

There are no special requirements as far as Aware IM is concerned - you need to check the parameters of the WAN.
Aware IM Support Team
denisv

Post by denisv »

Hi,

Client has advised that there is a 2MB connection between sites. I have seen a client server app using ODBC run fine on the connection. The response with Aware (one user only) is very poor.

Can you advise that it is sufficient to restart the Aware Service in order for the memory allocation (startup options)to be applied. I have allocated 96 mb. It is a 3gb ram server but there are other apps running. I may increase to 256.
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Yes it is sufficient to re-start Aware IM service. You can try bigger memory.

When you are saying that the response is good on one site, but not on the other, what is the difference between the two?
Aware IM Support Team
denisv

Post by denisv »

The initial site (Head Office) is where the server is physically located.

The second site (primary site for application) is in a different geographic location. There are a further 2 sites elsewhere. All of these sites have been able to run the client server odbc based application with no issue running of the same server in the initial site (Head Office).
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

So does the connection go through the primary site to the secondary one? Where is Aware IM installed and from where is it being accessed? Is it installed on the second site? Is it being accessed across the LAN from a browser or across the Internet? What does ODBC connection have to do with it?

The more details you provide the more chances that we provide a valuable reply.
Aware IM Support Team
denisv

Post by denisv »

Site 1 HQ - Aware Installed on Server
Site 1 Local Area Network, Aware operates fine

Site 2 Other Office Location WAN. Access over WAN not via internet

Reference to ODBC Application is purely as a bench mark for the performance of other applications running in Site 2 from the same server in Site1.
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

So if it is the same Aware IM Server and it works fine on LAN then the database connections and memory are fine because these affect how the server operates.

The problem, therefore, MUST be in the connection between site 2 locations and the server, not in the database access or memory. There must be something in the WAN settings that is causing it. Are other applications that are working fine accessed via a browser (HTML over HTTP)?
Aware IM Support Team