Aware - Braintree Payment Gateway

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
RLJB

Aware - Braintree Payment Gateway

Post by RLJB »

We have been using PayPal (with Aware) for the last few years but have found it restrictive for subscriptions and otherwise has shortcomings such as directing customers away from your site to complete payment etc.

Therefore we went looking for payment gateway and merchant account solution that was compatible with Aware. Braintreepayments.com recently launched in Australia, they are popular in the US. We found them to be very cost effective compared to other solutions in Australia (eg getting a bank merchant account plus a gateway provider). When you apply to Braintree you end up with a NAB merchant account. The application process is quite long but that's Australian financial services for you.

We asked (and paid) Aware Support to develop a plugin which we have now finished testing and works very well. It is easy to install and processes transactions with a few BOs and some simple rules (I think it is actually much easier than the PayPal examples). It doesn't do every transaction on the Braintree API but it does the main 3 or 4 you would need - taking a payment, adding a customer to the vault and updating a customer's details in the vault.

If you contact support I imagine they would be able to provide you a price for utilising the plugin. I know there has been some talk on the forums about how Payment Gateway integration is a pain and difficult etc, but our experience so far with Support and Braintree developing and using the plugin has been great.

I'm just writing this to allow other Aware users to piggy back on our homework and research. Hope this helps you.
Rod. Aware 8.6 (latest build), Developer Edition, on OS Linux (Ubuntu) using GUI hosted on AWS EC2, MYSQL on AWS RDS
hpl123

Great news

Post by hpl123 »

Great news, big thanks for sharing. I will contact support about this because this is exactly what i need.
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)
RentProperty

Post by RentProperty »

Dear RLJB, That Sounds Awesome

Thanks so much for Sharing! I have contacted Aware IM about two weeks ago to inquire about the plugin and the option to use that as it sounds like this is exactly what I'm looking for!!

Are you able to setup and process recurring payments directly from Aware IM using this plugin and the API to Braintree... In other words so that the end user won't have to log into a braintree interface to capture their details for payment.

Does anyone know if [email protected] is still a valid e-mail? As I've sent 2 or three mails to them in the past month but haven't had any reply yet.

Kindest Regards!

Hein
Hein Hanekom & Werner Hanekom
Sinov8.net
AwareIM Version 5.9 | 6.0 | 7.0 | 7.1 (Windows EC2 R2012 & MySQL)
Powerm

Post by Powerm »

Email is valid, may be went to hi Spam...send him a private message from here.
Independent Developer
www.atwing.com
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

We have replied to your e-mail. This means you haven't received it - check your spam folder or send us an e-mail again
Aware IM Support Team
hpl123

Just for information

Post by hpl123 »

Just for information regarding the Braintree payment provider solution.
I´m currently in contact with Braintree and it seems as though they have an insane application process and also tough requirements. To strict and difficult i think, they market their services for developers etc. but to get approved is really hard. It even seems as though they even require a "Corporation" status of applicants / companies and how many single / small business entrepreneurs has that?? I don´t know how it is in the rest of the world but in Sweden and Denmark at least, this is not a company form a single or small business entrepreneur goes for (BIG cost just in the registration of that company form + a lot of additional requirements).

I have not applied yet so i´m not painting the devil om the wall but just wanted to share my thoughts. Depending on the continued contact with Braintree + my possible application, I might go look for another payment provider option or have Awaresoft develop it e.g. though Paypal (mainly interested in the recurring payments option).
RLJB

Post by RLJB »

Hi Henrick

You will find this varies from Country to Country and is very dependant on the regulations of the financial services sector in the country you are applying in.

Here in Australia the process is basically the same as getting a Merchant Account with a bank (which is quite a process as it involves business plans and a trading/financial history for your business). So it's not just a "sign up online" process like PayPal or WorldPay or Paymate.

You can use recurring payments with PayPal (they are called subscriptions) we worked with it successfully for a few years, but it has restrictions (eg you can't change your subscription value by more than 20% without having the customer re-enter their credit card details).. now if that isn't a concern to you with your pricing structure then PP is easy to use and works out of the box with Aware. It all depends on matching to your needs.

Good luck.
Rod. Aware 8.6 (latest build), Developer Edition, on OS Linux (Ubuntu) using GUI hosted on AWS EC2, MYSQL on AWS RDS
hpl123

Paypal

Post by hpl123 »

Have gotten confirmation from Braintree that the company form required are in fact a "Corporation" form. No good i think and not something i´m going for for starters so i can´t user their services.

I will look into another solution and i have thought about using Paypal only but it seems like a lot of hassle to get the subscription feature "worked into" your application in a good, reliable, automatic way.
RLJB, when it comes to the time you used Paypal only for subscriptions, did you create a "Subscribe" button at member sign up and there members would sign up for the subscriptions and after that you´d check payments, status etc. in Paypal (with not "connection" back to your application)?`

Thanks
RLJB

Post by RLJB »

Yes - that's correct, if someone cancels their subscription in PP you get sent an email, you then have to go into your app and adjust their account as you see fit.
hpl123

Solution

Post by hpl123 »

Ok, then it´s as i thought, doable / working but not "ideal". I will go over my options. Thanks
intra

Post by intra »

Looks like PayPal will aquire Braintree.
Avid Linux user....
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

AwareIM's implementation of Paypal is a very basic and simplistic approach. Paypal do allow developers to implement payments without navigation away from your site.

Read all about it at https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/websc ... fo-outside

I used it a few years ago whilst developing in ASP but I'm sure with not too much effort, the AwareIM team could integrate this better than I did with full functionality for most of PayPal's payment offerings.

I gather there is also a SOAP INTERFACE. That would allow developers to access things like the monthy statements, receipts lists etc

Read about this at https://cms.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/?cmd= ... chitecture
Rocketman

V8.7 Developer Edition. Server 2016 Standard edition. MySql 5.5
hpl123

New Paypal?

Post by hpl123 »

Hopefully and with some patience, the current Aware IM Braintree module/integration might work for the "new" Paypal. If i have understood it correctly Ebays/Paypals plan is to integrate Braintree functionality in Paypal.
hpl123

Update

Post by hpl123 »

Update.
I have again been in contact with Braintree and they have (:) :) :)) changed their requirements so a incorporated status is no longer required. I have applied and awaiting approval (which shouldn´t be a problem).
BenHayat

Re: Aware - Braintree Payment Gateway

Post by BenHayat »

Hi Guys;

Could someone update us on the status of the Braintree Plugin in AWARE IM? I'd like to know if Awaresoft has this plugin as a "product" to purchase.

Thanks!