Desktop and mobile login for same user

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
rocketman

Desktop and mobile login for same user

Post by rocketman »

If there isn't a solution for this - can it be made into a wish list item please.

I have users (members) most have an access level of Member , some access level of Office. These access levels have a different visual perspective assigned to them - all standard stuff.

problem is I'm finding more and more that users will sometimes login in on their desktop PC and other times they will use their iPad. Is there any way I can allocate an alternate VP to an access level to be used when a user logs in on a mobile device.

My constraint is that no member can have two membership numbers (which actually is also their LoginName. nested sub menus are not supported in horizontal menu bars on iPad's and some other tablets so although in theory the standard VP's should work on tablets, they don't in reality. I could redesign the vp's using a mix of vertical and horizontal menus but with an alternate mobile VP I could then design a login optimised for mobile devices knowing it would work on tablets and phones

Does this make sense or am I rambling.
Rocketman

V8.7 Developer Edition. Server 2016 Standard edition. MySql 5.5
RLJB

Post by RLJB »

Rocketman - I thought you jumped onto the Aware Mobile option - have you abandoned it?
Rod. Aware 8.6 (latest build), Developer Edition, on OS Linux (Ubuntu) using GUI hosted on AWS EC2, MYSQL on AWS RDS
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

Hi Rod, No Didn't abandon it. I used the mobile option to create a special regularuser mobile login for our flight logging so the members can wander around the airfield with (mostly) iPads. Functionally It works well (although aesthetics was never my strong point. If you're interested there's a vid at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw59ku2Esxo

The main Members login and the Office admin were very big developments and I can't totally abandon them because there is quite a bit of functionality that is not supported in the mobile app - user defined queries and document management being just 2. So I was hoping to be able to develop alternative mobile logins with slightly cut down functionality for the everyday things that our members do

For me, two VP's - one standard and one Mobile for each access level would be the ideal solution
Rocketman

RocketRod

Post by RocketRod »

Its not ideal but you could place a button on the screen to say Using iPad which would switch them to alternative VP.

Support it would be nice if we could pass a parameter on the login so we know users are on mobile devices. We could then give them a separate URL incorporating the parameter.

Cheers Rod
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

Not a bad idea for a workaround Rod. I just noticed my Google Adwords account gives me that option when I log in on the iPad. "Classic or Mobile"
Rocketman

Rennur

Post by Rennur »

Automatically detect if user is using a mobile device or a mobile tablet.

If mobile device is detected

Options:
  • 1. Automatically redirect user to a mobile login page
  • 2. Automatically redirect mobile user to a mobile login page or a tablet user to a tablet login page
  • 3. Automatically redirect the user to a login page where they can select either a PC login or mobile login
I have a solution and the implementation would take 5 mins if anyone is willing to test it out and post the result here.

Cheers
RocketRod

Post by RocketRod »

I'm willing to have a go if it's not too difficult to try?

Cheers Rod
Rennur

Post by Rennur »

It requires a little HTML editing. If you don't have an editor get the free one here (31Mb)

Basically you need to:

1. Go to your AwareIM folder C:\AwareIM\Tomcat\webapps\AwareIM
2. Create a new folder called login
3. Right-click on this link select 'Save link as' an save it to the login folder you just created
4. Go back to your AwareIM folder C:\AwareIM\Tomcat\webapps\AwareIM
5. Make a copy of your current login page eg. logonAdmin.html and rename it eg. logonAdminTest.html
6. Open the page in the HTML editor
7. Under the the <head> tag insert this line (copy+paste): <script src="login/redirection-mobile.js"></script>
8. Copy+paste the code below (under <head> tag):

For Option 1 & Option 3 Automatically redirect user to a mobile login page if mobile device is detected:

<script>
SA.redirection_mobile ({
tablet_redirection : "true", //Redirects both mobiles & tablets
mobile_url : "logonM.html", //Your mobile logon page or a page where they can choose a login type
});
</script>

For Option 2 Automatically redirect user to a mobile login page or a Tablet login page: [/u]
Note: Option 2 should not really be used. In AwareIM you only specify the mobile login option anyway. There is no tablet option.

<script>
SA.redirection_mobile ({
mobile_url : "logonM.html",
tablet_host : "logonT.html", // logonT.html does not exist in the AwareIM folder :)
});
</script>

9. Using a mobile or tablet go to your login page to test it eg.. http://my.ip.address:8080/AwareIM/logonAdminCopy.html
Rennur

FYI. Information on this redirection can be found here:

Post by Rennur »

FYI. Information on this redirection can be found here: https://github.com/sebarmeli/JS-Redirection-Mobile-Site
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

Well it seems AwareIM could get 99% of the way all along - I'd just missed it.

Seems you CAN set up both a standard VP and a Mobile VP for any given Access Level. Simply click the "Details" button check the "Use visual Perspective for mobile app" box on one of the VP's and leave it unchecked on the other. Both should have the Access level set in the Right hand box.

All you need to do then is notify mobile users of the diferent url to log in on a mobile - which they can set as a bookmark

Dohhh - So Simple

An auto detect would still be a great bonus though :)
Rocketman

Rennur

Post by Rennur »

<script>
SA.redirection_mobile ({
mobile_url : "logonM.html",
tablet_host : "logonT.html", // logonT.html does not exist in the AwareIM folder
});
</script>
Looks like mobile_url & tablet_host require a full URL address eg. http://my.ip.address:8080/AwareIM/logonM.html

Using my iPhone, I got automatically redirected to the mobile login page.
yahya

Post by yahya »

love the solution