Controlling editability of fields

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
pbrad

Controlling editability of fields

Post by pbrad »

My question relates to editing fields of a referred object on a form with inline editing enabled but I think that the same question applies to forms in general.

I have an inline form with editing enabled and there are some fields that I want the user to be able to fill in but some other fields within the same object instance that I want them to be able to see but not to be able to change. Is there someway to control read-only access at a field level on a form?
Thanks.
Hubertus

Post by Hubertus »

To my understanding the PROTECT action will be your friend. Though I'd wish to display a protected (or calculated) attribute in a better readable way than a greyed out text input field with also grey text. I took a look at the colour settings in the visual perspective but didn't didn't find a obvious setting to change this.
pbrad

Post by pbrad »

Thanks,
I am currently trying two levels deep of child objects to see if I can get something to work that way.
Cheers
aware_support2

Post by aware_support2 »

> Is there someway to control read-only access at a field level on a form?
Access to data (editable/read-only/hidden) can be set for each attribute individually. This is not tied to any particular form but rather to the attribute itself. If the attribute access is set, say, to read-only, it will be read-only on all forms where the attribute is shown including inline editing on a related object form or its own object form.

PROTECT action is useful when you want to control access depending on some data, for example not allow changing an account if its status is set to Closed. If you want an attribute to be always read-only for users of particular access level you can simply indicate it in that access level without having to add a PROTECT rule to an object.
Aware IM Support Team