Configuration Tool Out of Memory

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
technopak

Configuration Tool Out of Memory

Post by technopak »

Hi,

I recently moved Aware to a new Server. I backed up the MySQL Database and restored it to the new Server also. Aware starts up as normal and seems happy enough.

However, when I try to log in to the published application, Aware says that some of the Binary Resources cannot be found - which I understand means that some image files from the BSV cannot be accessed.

A suggestion in other posts suggests re-publishing the BSV so as to regenerate the various Perspectives, and integrate same with the database.

When I try this, my Configuration Tool gives the following error .java.lang.OutOfMemoryError, even though I have allocated 512MB to the Configuration Tool.

So I have an apparently good re-installation of Aware, but my users cannot log on because of missing binary resources, and I can't republish because of the Config Tool error.

Please someone suggest what I might do. I'm at my wits end ... Help !!

Peter

Aware 4.9
Memory Allocation: Aware Server 756, Tomcat 512, JBoss 256 and Config Tool 512
tford

Post by tford »

Have you tried allocating more memory to the config tool?

Do you have other BSVs in test mode in the config tool? I've found in the past that taking other BSVs out of test more reduced the memory needs.
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
ACDC

Post by ACDC »

It sounds like you need to place your images for icons etc etc in the same folder as you had on your old server. You have not duplicated the exact installation layout on your new server. So your config tool can't find the path to the files
ACDC

Post by ACDC »

As to not being able to log in to the published version, maybe because of the instability caused by the config tool, your memory has become corrupted resulting in the system running out of resources. So there could be two separate issues at stake here
technopak

Post by technopak »

Thanks for the posts.

I have increased the Config Tool memory to 1.5GB but this hasn't helped at all.

I will try to replicate the file locations as suggested by ACDC and post any success I may have.

Thanks again,

Peter
ACDC

Post by ACDC »

When you do a transfer to a new server its a good idea to do a clean install, Import BSV, Publish and then Restore the database.

Its a good idea to drop all the system tables in the database and only restore the tables relevant to the BSV. That way you wont restore the environment from the old server over the clean install

Also if you do this remember to reset your Bas_Idgen to a number greater than the last ID allocated otherwise you will get a duplicate ID problem.

By the way I am no expert, just been down this road a few times :)
technopak

Post by technopak »

Full marks to ACDC !

When I did a clean install, imported the BSV, published it and then only restored the parts of the MySQL backup which were directly relevant to the BSV, the restore worked fine and the data is accessible on the new Server.

I think this is a very fundamental requirement for most Aware installations. I will write a step-by-step description of what I did in a post later on today.

Thanks again ACDC !

Peter