dropdown list

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
pbrad

dropdown list

Post by pbrad »

Hi,
I've been off the grid for a while working on other technologies and now my brain has gone to mush. Is it possible to show one list of values in a dropdown list but enter a corresponding other value in the database? For example a currency dropdown list might show Canadian Dollars, US Dollars and British Pounds in the dropdown list but the selected values would actually be CAD, USD or BP.

In addition, is it possible to concatenate the items so it might show Canadian Dollars - CAD, US Dollars - USD and British Pounds - BP but again, only enter the currency codes into the database, not the currency labels.

I can do this with php and think you can do this in Awareim, but my memory is failing me.
Thanks,
Pete
Pete Bradstreet
Contract developer of commercialized applications

AwareIM Ver. 8.2
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

You cannot do this at the moment
Aware IM Support Team
pbrad

Post by pbrad »

Okay thanks. I'm sure I can find a workaround using a reference as a drop-down list.
Cheers,
Pete
Pete Bradstreet

AwareIM Ver. 8.2
tford

Post by tford »

Pete,

Good to hear from you again.

Here is one work around:

1- Have a Currency BO with Currency.Text & Currency.Code attributes
2- Form drop down shows only CurrencyText attribute
3- Shortcut the Currency.Code attribute into the BO in question.
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
pbrad

Post by pbrad »

Hey Tom,
How is it going? I've been going nuts lately on building webPorts but have an interesting iPort (AwareIM) project to work on for the next while. It is a turnkey solution for a new insurance company that is spinning off from an existing client insurance company.

Entire company operations are going to be run online with clients, employees and insurers carrying out all activities in iPort. When I am done I am thinking to roll it out as a pay-as-you-play industry solution.

We have moved up to cottage country and are a two minute walk from our sailboat and are fully setup to work from anchor. Life is good.
Cheers,
Pete

p.s. Thanks for the tip, it will work.
Pete Bradstreet

AwareIM Ver. 8.2
tford

Post by tford »

Hey Pete ... sounds like an amazing setup with your boat and cottage. I have a friend that's a programmer & he always said he could work from anywhere. So, last year he set out to prove it http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/ride4aamds

He rode his bike from Florida to California & worked a full day every day from his laptop on the road. Only one person from his company even knew he was gone!

Insurance solution sounds exciting. I would love to see the final product!

PS .. Pete took me under his wing a few years back & helped me learn AwareIM from, long distance. Many thanks for that, Pete.
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
cchappell

Sounds Interesting

Post by cchappell »

Hi Pete,

I'm a sys admin for Independent insurance agent.

I'm curious how you are planning to use Aware in the insurance industry. I'm on the agent end of the industry (not company) and we use AwareIM as a CRM/Quote tracking system that I built customized to our agencies needs.

I'm curious about your insurance solution. I assume it's going to be a full policy management system for a company? Will it keep track cancellation,reinstatements, renewals, payments, endorsements, commisions, etc.? I would think Aware would be a good platform because of the flexibility to easily reprogram policy rate changes, etc.

What type of insurance (life,auto,etc.)?

Anyway it sounds like an interesting (and big) project.

Chris
pbrad

Post by pbrad »

Hi Chris,
This is actually for a spinoff company that focuses on a niche market (Performing Arts industry) where large numbers of smaller policies require automation economies of scale. I will be building it in a manner to be adaptable to more generic brokerages. When completed it will handle all aspects of client, policy and claims management.

A brief functionality summary is as follows:

Clients
· Full client listing with drill‐down to specific client details
· System to store and track all client info/data including profiles and policies
· Ability to enter unlimited contacts related to a client along with full contact information
· Track all two‐way client communications (letter, phone, email, meetings)
· Track third party communications (insurance company, claimant, bank etc…)
· Track any documents uploaded and attached to client file
· Clients may maintain their own profiles
· Clients may enter application forms online
· Simple policies are quoted instantly based on defined business rules and rate sheet formulae.
· Clients may accept proposals online via e‐signatures and make payments online if desired.
· Complex policies are routed for human interaction
· Clients may enter claims and monitor claims status
· Clients may print their own certificates of insurance based on system policy information and client entered data such as to/from dates, etc.
· Clients may make payments online for such things as Solo, Film and TV.
· Clients may amend their policies and make payments for amendments online.
· Print out binders
· Staff may review all system activities related to a client and their policies in a drill down
environment.
· Add unlimited locations with general info, inspection, coding and attachment tabs related to a client or a specific policy.
· Add unlimited searchable client notes
Policies
· Policy List – list of customer policies with drill down to policy details such as subscriptions, premiums, binder, payments and billing screen. Billing screen will show commission from insurance company along with individual producer commissions
· Underwriting Details – All background details related to a client including tabs: for brokerage, client, contacts, business operation, liability, claims, previous policy, misc remarks, attachments
· Risks Screen – All details required to assess insurance risk including tabs for buildings, contents, equipment, stock, other. Building tab: general, construction, renovations, fire, crime, occupancy, exposures, attachments, loss payees
· Schedule of Insurance – Editable grid showing all coverage elements of policy including description, misc, deductible, co%, limit, rate, premium. Ability to add template‐based coverages and options.
· Insured Parties
o Staff or client may print Certificates of Insurance on demand.
o Create auto‐populated, yet editable proposals based on various templates.
o Provide information to accounting for billing/accounts receivable
o Staff or client may print policy binders based on relevant templates.
o Solicit/Review/Compare quotes
o Document management system will permit inclusion of documents to clients such as
policies with ability to search for documents by category, title, keywords etc.
o Create ‘Invoice Request’ for such triggers as new policy, renewal policy, changes to
limits etc., Invoice requests may be emailed or printed. Payment of invoices will be
updated by simple checkbox so that clients with outstanding payments can be identified
at runtime.
o Ability to view complete client or policy claims list with drill‐down to claims details
showing all aspects of claim including progress status.
Action List ‐ list of any incomplete information related to the file with selectable options
such as reminders, email notifications and immediate resolution of item.
Input information related to TAM accounting activities such as payments received, client
credit holds, credit memos and other information that you would like accessible in
iPort™.

Additions to iPort functionality
· Modification to approach for deploying Certificates of Insurance to allow for interactive control of the certificate creation process so as to allow for staff approval of certificates prior to release of certificates to the client. Automation of processes will be utilized to achieve a simple, timely solution to the process of certificate release approvals likely utilizing email notifications and automated reply processing in addition to on‐screen approval pending lists.
· Enhancement to core iPort functionality to facilitate on‐screen live time screen prompts for events requiring immediate attention and ‘instant messaging’ capabilities added to allow logged in users including clients, staff and other user types to communicate in live‐time with each other. This approach will be particularly useful in providing live help to logged in clients and for staff to communicate with each other from locate locations without leaving the system and to potentially initiate system events based on ‘instant messaging’ requests.

Probably more than you wanted to know but just in case.
Cheers,
Pete
Pete Bradstreet

AwareIM Ver. 8.2
cchappell

Post by cchappell »

Wow! With all these details I've gotta ask!

How long do you think it will take to complete with Aware? In comparison, how long do you think the same project would take with php, .Net (or any other language)?

Thanks for info and good luck with your project.
pbrad

Post by pbrad »

I figure it will take about six weeks but I will be working on other projects at the same time so probably about 160 to 180 hours. I use Codecharge for developing php apps which is pretty efficient too but it would probably take about twice that long in Codecharge. The problem comes when you try to get php to do something more complex and I end up getting bogged down trying to invent the wheel when AwareIM typically handles most tasks right out of the box.

I use Codecharge when I am bolting on back-end functionality to a public front end (website) and AwareIM when I am strictly focused on secure, back-end functionality. We brand our AwareIM deployed solutions as iPorts and our Codecharge deployed solutions as webPorts which are really more 'next generation' websites as opposed to 'advanced custom web applications'. There is definitely functional crossover but for more advanced functionality AwareIM is certainly my tool of choice, I am a huge fan.
Cheers,
Pete
Pete Bradstreet

AwareIM Ver. 8.2
ninap

drop down - showing "human readable"

Post by ninap »

hi,

not certain if this pertains exactly, however wanted to follow-up

we have a refrence BO, with a Drop Down.

this reference is a Number which correlates to a "Long Description"

some of the system users memorized these numbers so the drop down works great.

however some newer employees do not know exactly each number so the drop down is useless.

we wanted to allow the "number" + " long description" in the drop down so the selection is easier for them

Is this possible ?