HTML presentations: How to?

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
tkilshaw

HTML presentations: How to?

Post by tkilshaw »

Do you have any documentation and/or examples of how to make an HTML presentation? There are numerous places in the user manual that talk about this but none that I can find that show how.

In particular, how to create an HTML presentation that can show query results like a list of tasks or accounts.

For example, when I add a new "Document templates, reports" and then set its Document Type to HTML document, the View button becomes inactive and I guess I'm supposed to import the HTML template that will be used as the basis of the presentation. But should the structure of that HTML template be?

This is not mentioned in the user manual. In fact, the user manual repeatedly refers to reports and presentations as if they are nearly synonomous. For example:
>>>>>>>>>>
The details of defining elements in the Report/Presentation Designer are provided in the Adding Report/Presentation Elements section.
<<<<<<<<<<
But it looks to me as if a report and a presentation are quite different kinds of things.

Terry
tkilshaw

Post by tkilshaw »

By the way, I have tried creating a report and exporting that, so that I can import it as a presentation.

When I click the Export button on the first report design page I get an error:

Unable to export template file due to system error: ...\RDDoc43676 (The system cannot find the file specified).

Terry
aware_support2

Post by aware_support2 »

Terry,

Object presentations do not produce an HTML file as such. Instead, they generate an HTML page that is displayed directly in the browser like an object form or a query result table. Object presentations can be used in place of either of those.

Unlike reports and other document templates, object presentations are defined inside the business object editor (next to object forms) rather than in the 'Reports and Document Template' node. No HTML template is required for presentations. Otherwise, object presentations are nearly identical to reports as far as the structure and design are concerned.

Please see the Photo Album sample application for examples of using object presentations. The following sections of the Aware IM User Guide have details on how to design and use object presentations:

Using Aware IM - Data Presentation - Custom Form of Query Results - Business Object Presentation
Working with the Configuration Tool - Adding/Editing Business Objects - Defining Presentations

Make sure you save a newly created report before exporting its design. This should solve the file not found problem. Let me know if it does not.
Aware IM Support Team