Changing database management systems

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
Tom Morrison

Changing database management systems

Post by Tom Morrison »

To simplify the process of setting up AwareIM and getting my development done, I used the included Cloudspace database. However, for production, I believe I want to use MySQL. Is there an easy way to change my installation or do I need to reinstall AwareIM and specify MySQL as the database management system.

Thanks!
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

You do not need to re-install Aware IM.

All you need to do is change the BASServer.props file. The default version is for Derby database. However, if you look at the BIN directory under Aware IM root (AwareIM.app/Contents/Resources/java/bin) you will find there a file called BASServerJBossMySQL.props. Rename this file to BASServer.props, change the credentials used in this file to access your MySQL account (the details are in the Installation Guide) and re-start Aware IM.

Best Regards
Aware IM Support Team
gabby

Post by gabby »

All you need to do is change the BASServer.props file.
Is that all you really need to do? IOW, will AwareIM forward-engineer the entire table/column structure, or does one need to use another tool to do this first?

A related question: If one wishes to connect to and create an application for an existing data store, rather than create a new back end, does AwareIM become aware of the existing tables and fields merely by defining a connection to the back end? If not, how does one utilize a pre-existing back end?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, I am in the early evaluation stage and I did spend significant time with the online docs but do not wish to DL, install and do a hands-on eval unless certain basic criteria are met for my project.

gabby
gabby

Post by gabby »

Sorry, forgot one more related question: Can AwareIM be used to pull multiple back end systems into a single application? Say a school has one back end for their attendance system, and a different back end database (perhaps even in a different dbms) for their student/family info. Can data from both sources be placed into a form for entering and displaying a student's grades?

thanks!

gabby
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Gabby,

Is that all you really need to do? IOW, will AwareIM forward-engineer the entire table/column structure, or does one need to use another tool to do this first?
Yes, that's all you need to do. Aware IM WILL re-create data table structure from the definitions of business objects and attributes.

If one wishes to connect to and create an application for an existing data store, rather than create a new back end, does AwareIM become aware of the existing tables and fields merely by defining a connection to the back end? If not, how does one utilize a pre-existing back end?
At the moment Aware IM cannot utilize the existing back end directly. You will need to transfer the data to/from the existing back end into Aware IM controlled database via export/import into CSV files. This also answers the next question.
Aware IM Support Team
gabby

Post by gabby »

thanks for the quick reply!