External web site

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
Tom Morrison

External web site

Post by Tom Morrison »

I'm considering an application that would involve displaying Google Maps content. I've learned Google's maps API and can easily bring up a web page with the map information I desire. Is there a way to do this with AwareIM? More specifically, would I be able to bring this display into an AwareIM form?

If this works, then I would be gathering photos along with address information (or latitute-longitude) and displaying a map with placemarkers that would provide access to photos relevant to the specific location. AwareIM would be use to store locations and photos, etc.

I'm guessing this is may be a little too generic. I can forward the required HTML and javascript if that would help.
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Yes, it should be possible to do this in Aware IM. How exactly depends on the details of Google API's. There are several possibilities:

1) They expose their API's as web services - then you can use SOAP channel in Aware IM to commuinicate with their web services. No programming necessary
2) Their API's are accessed by accessing some URL with parameters - in this case you can use URL channel in Aware IM. Again no programming necessary
3) They use some other API's. This may require writing a plug-in to support.

If you send the details we may be able to give a more accurate answer.

Best Regards
Aware IM Support Team
wings

Google Maps

Post by wings »

Hi

Has anyone successfully implemented Google Maps into AwareIM?

If so, how?
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

For now Aware IM does not have automatic integration with Google Maps. However, it is quite possible to do this integration manually using custom forms and some AJAX/XML/JavaScript. If you are familiar with these technologies we can give you further hints. Otherwise, we can do it for you.
Aware IM Support Team
christopherb

Post by christopherb »

Wings,
It should be rather straight forward, you can look at http://thesavingscard.com/business_list ... ?bId=83787 (map button upper right)

Here the data is gathered from mysql for this listing and passed in URL parameters to a PHP file(pop-up) containing the API key, thus displaying the correct information for the merchant. Switching back to Aware you could do the same using a custom form, HTML and attributes.

Hope that helps a little...

Cheers,
Cheers,

Christopher
wings

Post by wings »

Cool, thanks

I will give it a go.
tford

Post by tford »

wings,

Were you successful with this?

Tom
ab042

Post by ab042 »

"For now Aware IM does not have automatic integration with Google Maps"

Support: Just about everyone major app integrates with Google Maps.
Could you share some insight as to why Aware IM doesn't support it (it could save us time and help us better understand other integration attempts).
Also will Aware IM support it in future release and if so can you give us a general time frame?

Thanks
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

This will definitely be in the next release (maybe within a month or so). It is very high priority on our TODO list
Aware IM Support Team
tford

Post by tford »

Google Maps is now in build 1182. Very slick and easy to use as described in the V4.5 User Guide:

Forms - Page 154
Custom Presentation - Page 275

You have to get a Google Maps key at:
http://code.google.com/apis/maps/signup.html and record it in SystemSettings.

BSVs from before V4.5 will need to have a new SystemSettings attribute: GoogleMapsKey. AwareIM will automatically create this attribute if you Export the BSV, then re-import it in the Config Tool. New BSVs will automatically have the GoogleMapsKey attribute.
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres