Config Tool and hosted server

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
e5n_devildog

Config Tool and hosted server

Post by e5n_devildog »

I am attempting to get the configuration tool to connect to a hosted server. I have full control of the firewall and opening ports but cannot get it to connect.

I have made modifications to the BASServer.props file on the server to referrence both the machine name in the network that it is on as well as all of the different IP addresses assigned to the server. Still no luck. Currently every port mentioned in the Installation Guide is opened on hardware firewall for the server.

I did find one post that referrences the this issue but it was from back in 2006. http://www.awareim.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ms+jmssink

This post however did not have if the issue was ever solved.

If anyone has been successful in getting the configuration tool to connect to an Aware install on a hosted environment advice on where to go next would be great.

Thanks
E5N_DevilDog
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

The Configuration Tool is supposed to be run remotely on the same LAN only. If you are trying to get it to work across the Internet you are up against it.

We did manage to do it once, but we had no firewalls whatsoever on both the client's and server machine. The BASServer.props file has to include the Internet-recognizable name, not the LAN-recognizable name - for example, IP address or Internet domain name.

Then you have to open the ports - and you need all luck you can get to identify the right ones. We are not sure what they are.

Maybe someone has successfully done it....
Aware IM Support Team
e5n_devildog

Post by e5n_devildog »

Thanks for the information. I figured this was going to be a bit difficult. I attempted after your message to open every port on the firewall that was related to the java.exe. Unfortunately this did not work either. I will post a message to this thread if I find the solution.

I am still opened to ideas if anyone has attempted this.

Thanks
E5N_DevilDog
ab042

Post by ab042 »

I'm very sure it has nothing to do with ports.

From all our testing and we spent many hours months ago. The problem appears to be related to firewall NAT translation and how AwareIM see's the non-routable IP address when it should be seeing the routable IP in its internal communications between the config tool and the server.

If a VPN is an option for you, it will solve the problem.