Scheduling

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
paddo2002

Scheduling

Post by paddo2002 »

Hi All,
Just a couple of general questions about Scheduling. When running the test version, will the scheduling work? If so is there anything straight forward as to why it shouldn't work? I have a simple process that should be run on a schedule and it doesn't appear to work. When running the process manually it does?!?!

Any Ideas?

Regards
PM
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

Hi Paddo,

This one's a bit vague. Can you give more details about the process.

As a kind of generality, when you kick off a schedule, nothing will be in context so your process has to make sure all BO's are available and in context otherwise it will fail. (see your own recent posts on prcesses and the various replies)

for testing, set the shedule timer a short time in advance, open up the log viewer and watch (and analyse) what happens when the schedule kicks in

That should give you some clues as to what is going on

Log viewer is a great tool. It'll (mostly) tell you everything you need to know

Mo
paddo2002

Post by paddo2002 »

Hi Rocketman,
I apologise for the ambiguity. The former posts on the forum about the process have been the first step in this task I want to try and do. I want the process you helped me with to be done at a scheduled time every week.

I set up the scheduling page and by all accounts it should have fired the process off last night. Well this morning nothing had happened and there was nothing in the log to say that it had done it. So I was wondering if it was because I was trying to do it in the test and not the published version.

So I had a look at the processs this morning and moved all the BOs into context and set the schedule for 3 minutes ahead of time and had the log open. Nothing happened at all. So I am just wondering if there was something else I needed to turn on or look at first. The Users Guide didn't mention anything else and I couldn't see anything else obvious that I was doing wrong.

Cheers
Paddo2002
tford

Post by tford »

1- Feel free to post the steps of the process here.

2- To tell that the process is running, try the following:
... add attribute SystemSetting.ScheduleTimestamp

3- Add a rule to your process that updates when the schedule process executes: SystemSetting.ScheduleTimestamp=CURRENT_TIMESTAMP
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

Hi Paddo,

My Mistake, the log viewer doesn't fire but if you choose "Log to Console" from the control panel you'll see the output when the schedule fires

Here's some code from a very similar shedule test I did which works.

1) set up the schedule on the schedule tab
2)Click on the standard or textual form tab and you'll see the code Aware generates. Mine is

If CURRENT_TIME='12:00' AND CURRENT_DATE>=18/02/2009 AND CURRENT_DATE<=22/02/2009 Then
SendTestMail

SendTestMail is the name of a process All of this is done automatically

SendTest Contains the following

First - on the opening tab, 'Members' is NOT in the right hand 'For this process' Column because the "Send" command is actually in the rule collection that performs the action on the context. If you put the SEND command in a separate process, you will need (in your case) "Revision" in that column

Then - in the Textual rules tab, there are just 2 lines,

Find Members WHERE [your query string]
Send Testmail to Members

I did a bit of frigging - and here's some possible output from the console log

2009-03-20 10:10:46,359 -24 Starting execution of rules when creating notification TestEmail

2009-03-20 10:10:46,375 -16 Finished execution of rules when creating notification TestEmail

2009-03-20 10:10:46,390 -17

2009-03-20 10:10:46,406 -17

2009-03-20 10:10:46,421 -16 Finished executing process SendTestMail

2009-03-20 10:10:46,437 -17

2009-03-20 10:10:46,468 -17

Send failed exception thrown Sending failed;
nested exception is:
class javax.mail.MessagingException: 421 dns lookup failed for sender domain

Next exception is javax.mail.MessagingException421 dns lookup failed for sender domain

2009-03-20 10:10:47,062 ERROR -Unable to connect to remote host auth.smtp.1and1.co.uk

You'll see that even though the mail got processed ok, the mail did not go because there was a sending problem (in this case I deliberately clobbered the password

If your actual process fails there will be some indication as to why in the console output. Again, "Here's one I made earlier" - as all the best TV chefs say

2009-03-20 09:55:46,515 ERROR -'To' address is not specified in the email. Email will not be sent.

I think it will be all down to the same thing that tripped me up. When to put something in the "For this process" column and when not
paddo2002

Post by paddo2002 »

Thanks again rocketman,
I will have a close look when I get back to the office on Monday. I am pretty sure that I have all those things in place. I will check the console to see what I get.

Tom the details of the process are as per the previous posts regarding process writing.

Cheers and thanks
PM
paddo2002

Post by paddo2002 »

Hi All,
Well it appears that I had all the processes and schedules correct, but the log still showed nothing and the process never occurred. So I thought I would try a different process with an entirely new schedule.

This worked as expected.

I then deleted all schedules and recreated the one I wanted to do originally and this worked perfectly. A bug I did pick up was the fact that during creation the schedule tab said I had an invalid date of the month when I really wanted the schedule to run daily.

I think the cause of all my problems was the fact I was adjusting the one schedule to do the testing and Awareim was somehow not updating what it should be doing. For future note, if you delete the schedule and start from scratch, then it works every time.

Go figure!???!?

Cheers and thanks to all once again

PM
Rem

Re: Scheduling

Post by Rem »

Hi all!

We also have this problem (11 years later).

It´s kind of important that we can rely on the scheduler to work because we use it a lot.

Some times it works, but sometimes not (runing build 2713)

We have tried to make new schedules not using the text editor but it wont fire.

Any clues where to look or could it be a bug still existing from 2009?
Regards
Rune

aware_support

Re: Scheduling

Post by aware_support »

Please describe in detail the problem you are having.
Aware IM Support Team