Default Calculated Attribute

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
thom

Default Calculated Attribute

Post by thom »

I am having trouble tackling a couple of things regarding the syntax of a rule for a calculated field as well as how to see the calculated value prior to saving.

I have an attribute (SortOrder) that allows the user to control how the order of specific related BO appears (an event is made up of a number workshops). When the user is entering a new workshop, I would like them to see the SortOrder as a defaulted as the max +1, but the rule I have written is giving me max + 1 sortorder for the entire entitty, not the event

IF Workshop IS NEW THEN Workshop.SortOrder = MAX Workshop.SortOrder +1

How do i get this to group on the Event so the sortorder is sequential for the event.

Also, when adding a new Workshop, I would like to the SortOrder rule to default the value so the user can see it prior to saving the record - there are cases where they will change on new/
tford

Post by tford »

thom,

Is Workshop BO owned by Entity BO?

You also mention that it's a calculated value but later say that there are cases where you will change the value. You can't do both. Can you please clarify your needs.
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
thom

Post by thom »

Hi Tom,

Yes - Workshops is owned by Events.

I did not convey the nature of the SortOrder field correctly - it is not marked as a calculated field although I used a rule to update. That provides me the ability to have the value set, and the ability on Edit to change it. I would prefer to "see" the rule apply during the add process and that way the user could make the proper adjustment if needed

thanks
tford

Post by tford »

thom,

Try this:

1) Workshop rule:
If Workshop IS NEW Then
Workshop.SortOrder=MAX Workshop.SortOrder WHERE (Workshop.Entity=ThisWorkshop.Entity)+1

In the Advanced tab for this rule, check "Use rule during initialization"

2) Process named NewWorkshop:
CREATE Workshop WITH Workshop.Entity=Entity
EDIT Workshop USING Main

This rule will have Entity as a Process Input.

3) If you run process from #2 above when an Entity is in context (from an Entity form or Query, the SortOrder should default properly.
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
thom

Post by thom »

Tom,

I thought we had it, but I must be doing something wrong.

I updated the rule to include the where clause (which I previously tried but got nothing to return) and I check the "Use rule during Initialization " - thanks for that one, I never noticed the Advance tab before...obvious

My process was set as you recommended - upon adding a new workshop the SortOrder always defaults to 1 - whether it is the 1st or 20th workshop added for the event.

did i miss something? Thanks

thom
thom

Post by thom »

Tom,

Sorry I forgot to post that your solution worked. Thanks for the sample bsv

thom