Document merge problem

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
rocketman

Document merge problem

Post by rocketman »

Nearly there.....

I have a list of enquirers who each need to be sent a DVD.

If I create the following process everything works fine:

PICK ONE OR MORE FROM Contacts WHERE Contacts.DateDVDSent IS UNDEFINED
DISPLAY DOCUMENT DVDLetter MERGE INTO ONE

However the problem is - using this method, I can't control which attribute appear in the list. Aware seems to pick the attribs arbitrarily and it is very messy for the user.

If however I use a query either using FIND or PICK, and include a one line process DISPLAY DOCUMENT DVDLetter MERGE INTO ONE s in the list's display attributes, the merge doesn't work. I can pick one and DISPLAY but when I try to pick a few, I just get the first in the list.

Any suggestions guys
tford

Post by tford »

Mo,

You can create a query of Contacts that have no DVD sent, then use it in the PICK ... :

PICK ONE OR MORE FROM 'Contacts with No DVD Sent'
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

Hi Tom,

Well it sort of worked - once. However the second time around the loop I got an error saying couldn't complete the job because normal.dot was locked and the only way round it was to restart the server.

I know normal.dot is a word template file but it's supposed to be read only so I don't know how it's being locked like this. Any suggestions would be helpful

One thing I'm not clear about is - when I import my word document into the doc templates and reports BO, am I supposed to be importing a .dot or a .doc file. The user manual is a bit unclear on this point.

I thought I'd tried both but am prepared to accept that with so many tests and changes something might have got screwed. As it is, I had to delete my original document BO and start over because I couldn't seem to import a newer version of the letter over the top of an old version. (Aware didn't seem to like text boxes in the Word Document)
tford

Post by tford »

Hi Mo,

It's the Doc file you need to import into AwareIM.

Not sure if it would help, but check out the steps outlined at:
http://www.awareim.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2347
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

Hi Tom,

I'll have a play with the stuff on that link when I get a free hour. For now, having done a full machine reboot, The original process including your PICK FROM USING [queryname] suggestion is actually working

Not sure whether that's a blessing or a curse. I hate not knowing what caused a problem because you never know whether it will one day come back to bite you on the bum (butt)

Anyway - onwards and upwards.

Mo