How do you prevent PICK FROM aborting other rules in process

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
ACDC

How do you prevent PICK FROM aborting other rules in process

Post by ACDC »

Hi There

I am using PICK FROM in a process, but in some cases the user may choose not to proceed with the Pick List, by selecting cancel.

This behavior then makes the process abort.It also ignores any failure rule that I have attached in the failure rules section of the process

Is there any way to get the other rules to continue firing in the process ? I have also tried to call other processes, but because the PICK rule fails it seems to fail other rules as well.

I was trying to VIEW Myobject after the failure, but the context seems to be lost

any ideas ?
tford

Post by tford »

ACDC,

Silly question, but you said "VIEW Myobject after the failure, but the context seems to be lost". Is Myobject put into context earlier in the process before the PICK FROM. I'm assuming it's not what you are trying to put into context in the PICK FROM action.

Tom
ACDC

Post by ACDC »

Hi Tom

The basics of the process is as follows:

The rule lets a user create a "Lead" and then at the same time verify that the Contact Person in the Lead doesn't exist in the Contact object. If it does exist then the user is presented with the pick list to assign the lead to the contact. However the user may choose not to assign (for whatever reason) by canceling the pick list, and then proceed onto viewing the Lead.

The Process Below works fine if the user does not choose to cancel.
but If the user cancels, the Lead is in fact created, with no view, resulting in confusing the user whether the Lead was created or not

so its all about getting to View the Lead after the Failure

Process:
----------------------------------------------------------------
Rule1
ENTER NEW Lead

Rule2
If EXISTS Contact WHERE (Contact.FirstName CONTAINS Lead.ContactFirstName AND Contact.LastName CONTAINS Lead.ContactLastName) Then
PICK FROM Contact WHERE Contact.FirstName CONTAINS Lead.ContactFirstName

Lead.Contact=Contact
VIEW Lead
--------------------------------------------------------------

There is a failure rule on Rule 2 i.e. View Lead. This seems to fail because it doesn't know which lead to view

hope that makes sense
Thanks
tford

Post by tford »

ACDC,

You might want to check out:
http://www.awareim.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2895

Support explains there that no messages will be displayed by failure rules. That must explain why the VIEW does not work in the failure rules.

I can't really think of a work around for your scenario.

Tom
tford

Post by tford »

Try this instead -- I tested & it works:

1- Process called NewLead
a) ENTER NEW Lead
b) VIEW Lead USING LeadViewForm. This process will have an operation that invokes the process in #2 below "Match Lead With Contact"

2) If EXISTS Contact WHERE (Contact.FirstName CONTAINS Lead.ContactFirstName AND Contact.LastName CONTAINS Lead.ContactLastName) Then
PICK FROM Contact WHERE Contact.FirstName CONTAINS Lead.ContactFirstName
Lead.Contact=Contact
VIEW Lead

When you pick a contact, it will refresh the Lead to include the Contact info. If you cancel the process in #2 below, the original LeadViewForm will still be showing on the screen.

Tom