AwareIM in Vmware

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
jclark58

AwareIM in Vmware

Post by jclark58 »

I have recently moved a client implementation of AwareIM onto a virtual machine with interesting results. Apart from running at wildly varying speeds at different times, there are some strange behaviours with functionality that is broken sometimes and then works OK after retries.

I am wondering if memory management in the virtual server might be affecting this behaviour. For example I am aware that some VMs can allocate physical memory to a vm or only allocate memory as it is requested and if this might have some bearing on the issue.
/John
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

Hi Tom,

See my post "Tomcat fails to start" and the various replies. Probably your guaranteed memory is right on the edge as mine was. I just got a great deal on a server upgrade with my VPS supplier but the details are in the above post so I won't bore you with the details here.

There's a section in the "Installation Guide" on the requirements for VPS
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

Ps... why did I call you Tom??? . I really must get a life.
jclark58

Post by jclark58 »

Apart from complaining bitterly that software knows nothing about the "hardware" it is running on and that he has never heard of such an issue with anuy other software - we went looking for settings along the line of quarunteed / ststic / dynamic memory settings and found nothing that matche d directly . We did find an Allocated memory setting which is set to 2GB but I suspec this is the max usable memory allocated to the virtual machine. There is also an MMU setting currently set to Automatic which could be Disabled or Active as I recall.

The product is VMWARE Infrastructure V3.5 and seems to have heaps of resources on th ehost machine ie 72Ghz processing power and 64GB physical RAM. I saw the performance graphs and the processor was peaking at 80% max usiually sitting below 30%.

Dose anybody know a specific setting for this product?

We are seeing strange variation in AwareIM application performance on a clients site
- slow response,
- Menu items the work differently at different times
eg Menu links to a specific query that runs the query then when run again immediately after shows the Query selection dialog,
- Query results that have the Title of a previous query or the Title of the current query but the data of a previous one.
- Queries that freeze even though I can get to the data by creating a User defined query.

On the whole things are not looking good for AwareIM (or me)
/John
jclark58

Post by jclark58 »

Any thoughts on this Support?
Am I heading up the right track?
/John