running aware as a service

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
rocketman

running aware as a service

Post by rocketman »

From the faQ's
Can Aware IM run as a Windows service?
Yes. If you run Aware IM as a Windows service, it will start automatically whenever the computer where it is installed is re-booted

Any documentation or assistance on how to do this?
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Yes, in the Installation Guide
Aware IM Support Team
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

:oops:

Sorry guys .... A lot of late nights. I'm slowly losing the plot.

It's working fantastically well on my shiny new VPs.
bartthefish

Post by bartthefish »

Rather than start a new thread let me post this question here.

I've installed AwareIM as a service on a standalone machine. (Testing phase) however whenever the machine starts it starts JBoss and Tomcat successfully but Aware IM service never starts. I have to manually start the service.

Any ideas on how to resolve this?
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

Hi Bartt,

On your server, go to services and call up the awareim properties and click on the dependencies tab. check that JBOSS and Tomcat are listed there.

If they are not, it's possible aware is trying to load before the others are up and running
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

Hmmmm, my slow testing server at home just exhibited th esame problem. ?so here's what I did.

again, in your Services, double click the Aware service. This time click the "Recovery" tag and set 1st and 2nd failures to "Restart the Service"

I've left subsequent failure to "take no action" just in case there's a serious fault. I'll probably write a prog to email me if it fails more than twice.

I've tested this and it worked
himanshu

Post by himanshu »

hi,

i suppose it is much simple, to make automatically startup everytime whenever we start the server or the machine.

1. there is batch file under the awareim\bin folder installService and uninstallService.
2. so just click the uninstall service and then install service again.

it will work fine...

:wink:
From,
Himanshu Jain

AwareIM Consultant (since version 4.0)
DB: MYSQL, MSSQL
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

Hi Himanshu,

That's fine when we restart the server but that doesn't work when the server restarts itself and we are not present. This could be after a power failure, automatic update, overnight backup. Lots of reasons. On a 24/7 working server, better to have the services restart automatically on startup
pbrad

Post by pbrad »

When viewing the Services Manager and you double click on AwareIM, does the startup type show manual or automatic?

Pete
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

Hi Bart - and any others viewing this post. What appears to be happening is that the aware service - which needs JBOSS an Tomcal to be fully initialised and working- tries to start too soon on slowish servers before JBOSS and/or Tomcat have reached a steady state. A log in the event viewer reveals the following.

"The Aware IM service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service". (this is with the first failure set to "restart the service" in the "Recovery" tag of the Service Properties window - startup set to automatic

One minute later the following entry appears

The Aware IM service entered the running state.

I'm afraid I can't quantify what constitutes a "slow" server. All I can tell you is I don't have a problem on my main working server which has 2 x quad core semperon processors and 2Gb Ram whilst my testing server has a single core 2.6Ghz Pentium processor with 4Gb Ram (from circa 2004)

Trust me ... setting "On first failure - restart the service" will do the trick (leave the "restart after" set to 1 minute"

Let me know how you get on Bart
himanshu

Post by himanshu »

hi man,

i agreed with you absolutely, actually we are on same track just explaining opposites sites 8) ...

my awareim service starts automatically, if any time machine get restarts 4 any reason.
From,
Himanshu Jain

AwareIM Consultant (since version 4.0)
DB: MYSQL, MSSQL