DISPLAY MESSAGE ArithmeticOperation()

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
technopak

DISPLAY MESSAGE ArithmeticOperation()

Post by technopak »

Hi,

I'm wondering is it possible to display a message showing the count of a query result ?

DISPLAY MESSAGE and COUNT BO WHERE would seem like likely constructs to use but I don't seem to be able to convert the COUNT result into a literal suitable to display in the message.

Any suggestions ?

Peter
tford

Post by tford »

How about this:

1) create attribute: SystemSettings.CountBOname
2) use a rule to keep the attribute up to date
3) refer to the attribute in your DISPLAY MESSAGE action.

Tom
technopak

Post by technopak »

Thanks Tom,

I've tried your suggestion, creating a SystemSettings TestCount attribute of type number. When I try to display the default value of the TestCount attribute (which is set to 10), I get an Internal Error. The logs only show error 18 - Process Failed. I haven't ventured any further into updating the attribute at runtime until I get the basic display sorted.

I can't find any detailed documentation on the Count function, but when I create the rule in my process to display the count, the syntax (constructed by the context assistant) is DISPLAY MESSAGE SystemSettings.TestCount

Any further suggestions ?

Peter
technopak

Post by technopak »

One other question - can the DISPLAY MESSAGE function be used to display attributes of a standard BO, or just the SystemSettings BO ?

I don't need my count attribute to be initialised at startup and just wonder can I use another BO attribute to hold the count ? Where the count is stored doesn't matter a lot I guess, but I might end up with various statistics relating to my system all held in a Statistics BO or something similar.
tford

Post by tford »

Hmm. This works for me in a test bsv:

1) Create attribute of number type: SystemSettings.TestCount with default to 10

2) Create process with 1 rule: DISPLAY MESSAGE SystemSettings.TestCount

3) run in Test mode. Standard | System Settings | click Create button -- to initiate the Systems Settings

4) Run the process created in #2.

Also, DISPLAY MESSAGE does not care which BO is used in the calculation of the message as long as it's in context. I used SystemSettings for the test because it's always in context as long as it has been initiated.

Tom

Tom

PS -- I am running V4.1 build 1159
technopak

Post by technopak »

Tom,

It's working fine now.

Just re-booted the PC and it works as designed :-)

Thanks for the info about using BOs also.

Peter