Writing and reading cookies

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
rocketman

Writing and reading cookies

Post by rocketman »

Does anyone know how to write and then read cookies in awareIM.

Some of our members are quite old and not very computer savvy. They only need access to their personal data so they can change it from time to time (addresses telephone numbers etc) So it would be good to use a (heavily protected) Members Login - similar to guest and have Aware read in their membership number and password from a stored cookie, Having discovered who they are, I can then take them directly to their own personal data.

I can do it from normal web pages using VBScript but I'm not Java Savvy

Many thanks in anticipation
pbrad

Post by pbrad »

Hi,

I'm not sure about the cookie method but if you want to stay within the scope of AwareIM, perhaps you could set their usernames equal to their email address (it will be unique to them and they will know it) and their password equal to their 9 digit phone number (without any dashes etc), then rather than use the labels username and password which will possibly cause them to forget, use the labels email address and phone number.

With your method, even if you get it working, it is quite possible for cookies to become erased and then you are back to square one.

cheers,
Pete
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

Thanks Pete,

I did a bit more reading and came up with a different solutiion. Since they will be coming via a members website which has already read the cookie, I can simply do a standard loginOp.aw?[name-value pairs]. i just need to write a proc to interrogate the members BO for the correct info.

That's tonight's project