Can I do this with UDDs?

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
kklosson

Can I do this with UDDs?

Post by kklosson »

I know User-Defined Documents are a new thing. Here's what I need. My users will be in any of the 50 states. I have several legal forms that are specific to each state. Rather than create 50 versions of each and then having the user pick the one for their state, could I use the UDD function to create the document as the Administrator, and assign a State attribute to each. Then at run-time, have them select from any of the documents specific to their state?

I figure I would grant myself (Administrator) the ability to make and save the template documents, edit them and assign the appropriate State attribute. Then they would appear in some selection list where State = the user's state.

Reasonable?
tford

Post by tford »

Yes. Neat to hear your application of UDDs.

Tom
kklosson

Post by kklosson »

Well, here's the roadblock so far.

I have some UDDs created and I've set up a process to select one or more documents to print based on the current record (in context). So my process begins with:

PICK FROM [query]

Now I want to display the selected document(s) but the rule language will only allow a specified Document. I tried

DISPLAY DOCUMENT UDD_Name with no joy.

So how does one display a list of UDDs and then display the selected one(s)?
tford

Post by tford »

Have you looked at my post at http://www.awareim.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2347 beginning with Dec 19th?

Tom
kklosson

Post by kklosson »

I have and it's interesting, but doesn't seem to go to my need. At this point, I don't quite have the UDD concept figured out. I can certainly create UDDs as business objects, and I can provide other attributes to them to discriminate them for various reasons. What I can't seem to do is to display a list of UDDs based on a query and then pick one to be created.
tford

Post by tford »

I did some quick tests by adding some PICK FROM logic to the bsv I created for the other post & it looks like PICK FROM is not currently supported for UDDs.

I am sending a sample bsv to support.

Tom
tford

Post by tford »

I was wrong about PICK FROM not working. Support helped me find my error.

I posted notes back to http://www.awareim.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2347 showing how to use PICK FROM with UDDs.

Tom