Problem with PDF files stored as a document using a MAC

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
Ewanm

Problem with PDF files stored as a document using a MAC

Post by Ewanm »

I have an application which stores files using the document function. When I store a PDF file I cannot then get access to it on a MAC, works fine on a PC. All other file types seem to be ok on PC and MAC.

Ewanm
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Make sure that the Acrobat Reader works properly on your Mac
Aware IM Support Team
Ewanm

Post by Ewanm »

I have Acrobat Professional V8 installed and it appears to work OK with everthing else.
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

So what happens? Is there an error message?
Aware IM Support Team
Ewanm

Post by Ewanm »

MAC
If I upload a .doc file and then click on the view document button on the form, the uploaded document is saved in my downloads directory. and I can view it from there.

If I upload a .pdf file and then click on the view document button on the form, nothing happens, no error message and no file to downloads directory.

PC
If I open the same form which has has the .doc file stored on a PC then click on the view document button on the form, I can either save the file or open the file from the presented dialog.

If I open the same form which has has the .doc file stored on a PC then click on the view document button on the form, I can either save the file or open the file from the presented dialog.

Hope this clarifies that the file has been saved but the.pdf file cannot be opened on the MAC.

Ewanm
Ewanm

Post by Ewanm »

Can Anyone help please???
tford

Post by tford »

I'll see what I can do to help until support is available.

So are the Mac & PC both user machines which are connecting with an AwareIM server in your example above?

Not sure what you mean by "the uploaded document is saved in my downloads directory". What "download directory" are you talking about?

What version / build are you running?

Tom
Ewanm

Post by Ewanm »

Thanks for the reply Tom.

The MAC and the PC are both connected to the sever which is running the application.

On the PC, when I click on the 'View Document' button, the PC presents a dialog box which asks me if I want to save or open the file. This works great.

On the MAC, when I click on the 'View Document' button in the application, nothing happens if the stored file is a .pdf.
If the stored file is any other file, say a .txt file, the file is downloaded to my downloads then opened using viewer, this does not happen if the stored file is a .pdf.

I am currently running Version 4.0 build 1151

Hope this clarifies my problem.

Ewanm
tford

Post by tford »

Ewanm,

I see what you mean. I tried & got the same results. I'll send a server link to support for them to see it.

Tom
christopherb

Post by christopherb »

What browser is the Mac using?
Cheers,

Christopher
tford

Post by tford »

I tested using Safari v3.2.1

Tom
christopherb

Post by christopherb »

Now for the ID-10T question... I had ten minute "duh" on my new laptop the other day....

Is your block-up-popper set? Safari by default will be activated. Be sure that the block if off or you except pop-ups from the IP string for your AWARE.

if you wish to test your browser.... popuptest.com
Cheers,

Christopher
tford

Post by tford »

Yes -- that was it, Chris.

Turning off popup blocking solved it.

Tom
Ewanm

Post by Ewanm »

Thanks guys

That did it for me also.

I guess with any other files, Safari does not attempt to open the file in a pop up window so it just downloads it. I would have thought it would have downloaded it anyway.

Anyway thanks again Tom and Chris

Ewanm