import from csv for updating

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
rocketman

import from csv for updating

Post by rocketman »

Me again,

I've imported the bulk of my data over from access - no problems. But now I have some additional data from an online database which I need to include in my all singing all dancing new members database.

I've added new attributes to the BO to receive the new data. Is there a way I can now import this csv so that it updates the existing bo's with the additional data.

I could create a non persistent, import into that and then create some rules to update the main file, i just wondered whether there was some swithc I could add to say "update" rather than "create new if it doesn't exist" - which seems to be the way the straight import works
tford

Post by tford »

What is the common denominator attribute between the new data and the previously imported data?

Tom
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

The Membership number
tford

Post by tford »

From page 99 of the User Guide:

It is possible to use a particular attribute, rather than ID attribute to indicate update operation. If you add “*” symbol before the name of the object and attribute in the header of the CSV file, Aware IM will use values of this attribute to find instances of business objects to modify (only one instance must be found for each value of the attribute). This may be useful when exchanging data with non-Aware IM systems that do not have the ID attribute.

In your case, that will be the membership #.

Tom
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

I must have tried 20 different searches to find that answer!!! how do you do it?

Patience I suppose.

Thanks again Tom
tford

Post by tford »

I know it's huge, but the if you are serious about AwareIM, you really need to print out the User Guide & the Rule Language Reference and read through them one time. Then when you are trying to solve something you will know where to look.

Tom