Multiple Embedded Report

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
kklosson

Multiple Embedded Report

Post by kklosson »

I have one report that I use as a shell for other embedded reports. The embedded reports are placed one after another in the Detail section of this report. The first three embedded reports are all made of attributes of the master report - There are many so this works well for breaking them up. Then I have a report that contains a child table with having a few related records. This isn't working out so well. I find that when the report is printing the third embedded report and needs to paginate, it starts printing from the following embedded report, then continues from the previous embedded report.

Here's what I need to do. I have a large number of attributes to report from the parent object. Lots of lengthy text fields so this could go on for pages. Then I need to print several (4-5) related objects each having multiple record. So I figured I could create a report for each thing I need to do and embed them to produce them in the order I need.

Is my thinking on this correct?
kklosson

Post by kklosson »

I'm still hoping for some help on this. I'm trying to place multiple embedded reports into the Detail section of a master report. It's classic single parent - multiple child table relationships. What I'm finding is that the report engine does not handle this very well. Once I add a second or third embedded report, the details within the embedded reports get intermixed. My need, and my assumption, is that I can add report sections that display all of the related records and then move to the next embedded report and display all of those.

There is very little (none) control over any of this. Can anyone advise on what I should actually expect or how I can achieve my intended result?
tford

Post by tford »

I THINK I did something similar a while back. Although it does not have multiple details at the same level, maybe some of this code will help??:

Top Level Document called SRs --- this is "Determined at Run time:
- Has a band called SR
- 1st level of subreport is in the SR Header band
...... embedded report name: SRs Subreport 1 Control Program
...... query that runs it: FIND SrControlProgram WHERE SrControlProgram IN SrControl.SrControlProgram ORDER BY SrControlProgram.ProgramCategory

"SRs Subreport 1 Control Program" -- this is "Determined at run time":
- Has a band called ProgramCategory
- Subreport is in the ProgramCategory Header band
...... embedded report name: SRs Subreport 2 SR Detail Lines
...... query that runs it: FIND SrDetailLines WHERE SrDetailLines IN SrControlProgram.SrDetailLines ORDER BY SrDetailLines.Line

Tom
kklosson

Post by kklosson »

Thanks. One thing I'm doing that's a bit different... For my queries, I'm just entering:

Attribute.Object.ID=ThisObject.ID

It certainly works just fine, but would using the FIND statement make any difference with this?

Also, I think I'm able to work around this by putting all of my objects in a BOGroup - they're well-suited for that. Then my reporting is quite simple.
tford

Post by tford »

I don't really understand the total scope of what you are doing so trying to answer those questions is kind of like trying to send a haircut in the mail.

:?

Tom