Warning when Duplicate data exists

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
wings

Warning when Duplicate data exists

Post by wings »

We have a process that on add uses a NEW form then on saving the data display the MAIN form as an edit.

However for personal names we want to warn the user that persons with the name they have already entered exists and give them the option to either:

A. View the details for that existing name or
B. Continue creating the new name)

On saving, we have a process that lists the existing names using the DISPLAY option fired from a rule that checks for duplicate names, but we can't find a way to cancel out of the list and continue creating the new name. We tired PICK FROM because it had a cancel button but pressing the cancel didn't return use to the form (Stopping the Process).

For example:

Our database already has a person named 'John Jones' I am now trying to create a new 'John Jones' I want the process to be:

1. List the existing 'John Jones' persons from the database - there may be multiple.

2. From the list I want to be able to view the details of any existing 'John Jones' Person.

3. I then want to either:

A. Cancel the process because the 'John Jones' I'm creating already exists or
B. Continue creating the new John Jones.
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

So the user needs to either select an existing reference from a list of duplicates or create a new instance. You don't need to implement this as a process. You can just create an object and on its form have "Add" and "Add New" buttons to select or enter a person. When using "Add" the user can use filtering to filter person by name. There is no need to enter the person's name first.

Another alternative is to implement a process like you do, but do a search first and get the user to enter the person's name (the corresponding query will use "ask at run-time" option). If no objects are found the user can enter the details of the person inside the main form (so the main form will also contain the form of the person- if the user selected the person the form will be populated with the details of that person, otherwise the user will enter a new one).
Aware IM Support Team