Are there any commercial product built by AwareIM?

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
masa

Are there any commercial product built by AwareIM?

Post by masa »

Hi everyone,
I'm new here and currently testing AwareIM for about a week now.
I'm testing to see if I can convert my Deskptop application(Church management) I developed over the year for Web-based one and AwareIM is every easy but may not be strong enough to replace my Desktop app. All the sample apps provided with AwareIM is not enough to convince me yet.
Are there any commercial grade apps developed by AwaIM sold on market?

Thanks in advance.

Masa
rolfb

Post by rolfb »

Hi Masa

i can't see a problem with complex business systems - so far the tool proves to me to be capable of handling any business system with ease.

The most difficult part for me was to get to grips with the methodology/concept of aware, but once the penny drops its fun!!

Currently i am doing a prototype of a indented bill of materials system which i wrote on a desktop environment, and i do not pick up any holes i the tool to do this, which is a very complex application

Enjoy Aware!!

Rolf
The_Anomaly

Sadly

Post by The_Anomaly »

Sadly, there would be more response to this if it wasn't so expensive!

Its the kind of tool you use in a really big corporate environment (because they can pay), although there's like a $80 per user license!! (Depending on what option you take) I am quite keen though to know who is using it and what scenario's they're using it in.

:(
kklosson

Post by kklosson »

Gents,

I don't agree that it's over-priced. MS Visual Studio and a couple of third-part tools would put you right in the same zone. I'm a Clarion developer and their tools set is priced in the same ballpark as Aware IM. In the case of Clarion and Aware IM, you are buying much more than a development tool, you are buying automatic code generation that frees you from most mundane chores. If it works for your project, you come out way ahead.

I am developing a commercial product using Aware IM. I am replacing a successful desktop product with a web-based product which will have many benefits by virtue of being web-based. I don't quite understand their licensing scheme. In my case, they confirmed that I only pay for the Developer's license ($1,499) and I can support as many customers as I want. But if I were supporting employees of my own firm, I would be paying the dedicated user license fees. Well, whatever. It seems they intend it more for that market and I believe their license fees are reasonable for what you get.

I took a vary hard and long look at this product during my 30-day trial and I was very impressed with how much work I accomplished in those 30 days. Rather than fight with the language or the tool, I produced functionality and pressed forward. After buying my license, I am continuing to develop my product at a rapid pace.

The Aware IM paradigm may not work for all projects or situations - nothing does. But it will work for me and frankly, it is only because of the existence of this tool that I am able to bring this product to market. I was inches away from having it produced off shore in .NET. I'm way ahead on this deal.
The_Anomaly

Licensing has got to change

Post by The_Anomaly »

Visual Studio will set you back a bit, same as AwareIM however I can deploy my project over and over with no user license and run time complications.

With AwareIM - every time I deploy a runtime thats $ and every time I setup a new user that $, and yes clients coming in, in a website sort of way are free, but the question remains - are there any commercial products we can look at? This tool is not designed for websites but more for intranets and corporate running. Your dev license will work but only once in one environment and it will mean you have to give it up, not being able to develop other projects and having a 9 other user limit. You can use the loophole of using concurrent user accounts but run the risk of data loss and corruption.

Besides Microsoft have Express versions of their products both SQL server and Dev Studio which are FREE. For commercial use too, with NO user license implications! You really can't compare. I could write the same projects into Express with just more time.

The only MAJOR advantage for AwareIM is its rapid development logic! Designing apps in literally just a few days. A plus for developers whose clients are prepared to throw money away on user licenses.
tford

Post by tford »

I know from private conversations with a number of different AwareIM developers that are active on this forum that they use it quite effectively for commercial applications. Most, if not all, are proprietary applications and not available for other developers to view. It's a matter of protecting intellectual property.

The live sample applications on the AwareIM web site give a good overview of the basic functions of AwareIM as well as some of it's advanced functions.

If you have specific questions about AwareIM's capabilities in commercial applications, we would be glad to pitch our two cents.

Tom

PS -- I don't really see much sense in debating AwareIM's pricing model. From the research I did before choosing AwareIM, I found it to be a competitive pricing model compared to other SIMILAR tools on the market. Of course you can point to other dissimilar tools that are not rapid development tools, but that it NOT what AwareIM is.