JAVA error has me dead in my tracks

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
kklosson

JAVA error has me dead in my tracks

Post by kklosson »

Hi,

I Opened my space this morning and my newest version declares itself to be in Test mode and not loaded. I suppose it's possible that I shut it down in test mode but that would not have been my practice. When I attempt to load the version (which is under initial development with no other version even close to what is has), I get a Jave Exception error:

Error while loading business space version...bla, bla...
Java exception '-1 java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException

This is no fun and I would certainly like to recover this version.

Note. Also this morning, before starting the session, I noted a Java update available and let it install. I apparently went from a version 7 to a version 10 of something. I thought this was perhaps the problem so I uninstalled that version and rebooted. Still no joy. Then I did a system restore before the installation, no joy.

Personally, I doubt the Java update is the culprit. Perhaps I shut down my session in test mode and maybe that should be a no-no.

If there is any experience on overcoming this, I'm all ears.

Thanks
pbrad

Post by pbrad »

Hi,

You might try creating a new minor version from your test version and see if that works. Don't forget to export your bsv's as a backup on a regular basis.

Pete
kklosson

Post by kklosson »

Thanks.

Tried loading both minor and major version. Both resulted in JavaNullPointerError.

Am I dead?
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Never had this before. Can you attach the full stack with this error? Which OS are you running? If you are running on Mac, Java update can be crucial. It shouldn't matter for other operating systems.

A version being in Test mode and not loaded is perfectly normal. If you shut down Aware IM and re-start it - this is what you get. You have to either load the version or "lock it for editing". Java error is not normal, of course.
Aware IM Support Team
kklosson

Post by kklosson »

Thanks for reply. I'm afraid I had to move ahead. Bear in mind, I've just been using Aware IM for about 5 days, but I had been very productive with it (kudos to Sandra Kozlovski on your support staff). So my most current version of the project would not load as I described and there was no way out of it that I could see. My earlier versions were far less mature but I decided to just go back to that. Problem was, the database was so inconsistent that I just got errors when trying to test. So in the end, I de-installed, wiped out the Aware IM directory, reinstalled, and started over.

The good news is that I had learned a lot in the previous five days and it took me about half a day to get back where to I was. I didn't quite understand the value of exporting the .bsv file, but now I do.

I still have a screen shot of the error message if you want it.

Thanks
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

The screenshot would be useful. Please send it to [email protected]

It would also be useful if you indicate the operating system you are using
Aware IM Support Team
kklosson

Post by kklosson »

O/S is Vista Business. Also note that between the previous session and the failed session, I had performed an update of the Java RTE.