Help with Copy

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
[email protected]

Help with Copy

Post by [email protected] »

Could someone help me understand the correct way to copy a object and and any references?

For example, I have an object called Contract. I want to add a action on the form to permit the user to copy the Contract they are "sitting" on and any of the related records.

How do I accomplish this?
tford

Post by tford »

rgates,

Please refer back to http://www.awareim.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2219

Tom
[email protected]

Sample

Do you have a sample BSV or sample processes? The posting you sent me to doesn't have any real details.
tford

Post by tford »

It was emailed to you on Sept 5th. I just forwarded that email again.

Tom
[email protected]

Issue with Insert

I am trying to create a process that inserts records. The Action syntax is “INSERT SLPurchaseOrder IN Asset.PurchaseOrder”

When I try to create the process with this action, I get the dialog:

"Possible wrong object identifier Asset is used in path Asset in rule CopyPurchases
Possibly wrong object identifier SLPurchaseOrder is used in path SLPurchaseOrder in rule CopyPurchase"

What does this mean? I used the "intellisense" when selecting all of the actions and objects.

Here is the schema:
tford

Post by tford »

Any BOs used in a process rule have to be in context in the process... either via a Process Input or a FIND action, etc.

Tom
[email protected]

Still not understanding

I looked at the sample bsv you sent me. There are 2 processes. The CopyCategories process is like my new process I am trying to create. There doesn't appear to be any find or anything other then the Action "INSERT AdditionalCategories IN InventoryItem.Categories".

I understand that you call the CopyCategories process from within the CopyInventoryItem and at that time you do a find and then pass processing over to the CopyCategories process.
tford

Post by tford »

Both processes( CopyCategories and CopyInventoryItem) have 2 BOs are Process Input:

1) AdditionalCategories
2) InventoryItem

In the case of CopyCategories, that's what put both of these BOs into context. Without this, the rule:

INSERT AdditionalCategories IN InventoryItem.Categories

would have no idea which BO instances you are want to effect.

Tom
[email protected]

I got it to work

I got it to work on one of my references, but for some reason I'm having difficulty with a reference that points to an external datasource. I have sent a support ticket in.

Secondly, is there a way to create a object and then edit the new object. I know that I can go a find based on a value in a object field and then do a display or edit. Let's assume I don't know if there are unique values in the fields; can I do a find based on the newly create Object.ID? IF so, how do you reference the new create Object.ID. I thought possibly ThatObject.ID, but that didn't work.
tford

Post by tford »

Secondly, is there a way to create a object and then edit the new object.
You can first use a CREATE action to create the BO, followed by an EDIT action to edit it.

Tom
[email protected]

Edit Action

The edit action opens up a "popup" form versus navigating to the record in edit mode. Is there a way around this?