"XML returned from the server does not have 'root' elem

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
twhitehurst

"XML returned from the server does not have 'root' elem

Post by twhitehurst »

I just upgraded an application I've been using for over 2 years to Version 4. The database is Derby and I have many users that upload file attachments to the database daily. The database size is around 10GB.

I have users that cannot upload any file attachments due to the error

"XML returned from the server does not have 'root' element"

I have no external databases which is a thread I found in the forum.

Does anyone else have this issue? I need to resolve quickly as users are unable to work in Version 4.

Thanks for any help...
Todd
twhitehurst

Post by twhitehurst »

By the way this is BUILD 1145

Thanks
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

You should not just blindly upgrade to version 4! Its forms may not be compatible with version 3 and you should have tested your application before going live.

If this is urgent for you please do the following:

1. Purchase a support ticket
2. Send us your BSV
3. Describe how we can reproduce the problem
Aware IM Support Team
twhitehurst

Post by twhitehurst »

Wow, I'm not exactly sure how to take your response! I get that you want to sell a support ticket and I'm fine with paying for support. As for "blindly' upgrading explain to me how I am supposed to test every possible problem in the database. I did do testing and have not had other issues but it's strange when you put something into production users have a way of finding problems.

PLUS! You already show posts in this database where this error has occured in prior builds and was later "fixed". So is this a support issue or a bug?

Don't really like the tone...
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Apologies for the tone - but really this was just a friendly precaution which is, by the way, explained in the release notes for version 4. If you tested your application, it's fine.

We do not know whether the issue you are having is a bug or a user error - noone else seems to be reporting it. We will have a look at it when we have time. If you want us to have a look at it urgently, please purchase a support ticket - this is our standard policy.
Aware IM Support Team
twhitehurst

Post by twhitehurst »

After doing my own research I've found that should a user attempt to upload a file with the & or @ character in the file name then the system will throw this error. If they rename the file attachment and remove these from the name the upload will be fine.

Hope that helps someone else...

Todd