Database concerns

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
tazzmaxx

Database concerns

Post by tazzmaxx »

I am still new at Aware and I am trying to understand all of the concepts. The one question that I am grapling with and don't get is if I deploy an application to a company and they have that version for 2 months and then decide that they want me to change several of their attributes (adding, subtracting and modifying) or remove/add reference objects. When I provide them with the new application will it potentially modify or eliminate their historical data in the database?

I am just concerned that I could mess up their data. Is there a way to protect it (other than making a backup of the data ahead of time). I have lost a lot of test data by making these types of changes and while it does make sense to me why they would go away I am just concerned when applying these types of modifications to someone who is entrusting that I won't blow away their data.

I guess I am also looking for "best practices" from Aware users on how to manipulate the application and maintain data or repair data after a change.

Thanks Guys
tford

Post by tford »

Tazz,

The situtation you described is actually AwareIM's strength. AwareIM handles attribute changes "automatically". Of course, as you mentioned, regular backups are always critical in any application.
When I provide them with the new application will it potentially modify or eliminate their historical data in the database?
Sure, changes you make could eliminate historical data, but only if that's what you tell AwareIM to to. If you eliminate an attribute, the historical data will be gone.

What kind of situations do you think you are going to have to 'repair'?

Tom
tazzmaxx

Post by tazzmaxx »

Hey Tom,

That is good to hear. I never know what to expect. I have learned over the years that what someone wants today is always different tomorrow. Haveing said that, I don't have anything specific regarding the specific types of changes. My concern is more on what to do after the data is changed and going back in to update the data.

Not being a DBA, I don't want to make their job any more difficult than it already is.

Are there attributes that are more prone to problems than others?

Thanks
tford

Post by tford »

Not that I have experienced, Tazz.

If you have specifics about the changes you are looking to make, you can feel free to post them here.

Tom