If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
#8255 by verlsnake
Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:15 pm
When choosing the persistence mechanism for a business object, I have the choice between several options; two of them are 'Not persisted' and 'Custom', which I have questions for:
- 'Custom': The following is written in the UserGuide:
"Select Custom option if you develop a Java plug-in that implements custom persistence storage (see Programmers Reference Guide for more details)."

But I haven't found any information about 'custom persistence storage development' in that Guide; but I would still like to know WHICH advantages this custom approach could offer; and how it must be implemented.

Maybe I have just overlooked it in the 'Programmers Reference Guide' ?

- 'Not persisted': In this case BOs ARE actually stored in-memory, aren't they ? Can they be accessed directly in the memory via 'getEntity()' and 'updateEntity()' ? And can this option help improve performance for BOs which have heavy ruling work to do ?

#8258 by aware_admin
Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:40 pm
Regarding custom persistence - it is a mistake in the documentation. This is documented in a separate document and it is not in the Programmer's Reference Guide. Send us an e-mail if you want us to send you this document. "Custom" persistence may be useful if, for whatever reason, you cannot use all other types of persistence.

Regarding "not persisted" - no, you cannot use "getEntity" and "updateEntity" for such objects. These functions require an id to identify an instance. "Not persisted" BO's do not have an id.