Feild name in external database too long

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
jclark58

Feild name in external database too long

Post by jclark58 »

I have just attached an existing external SQL Server database but the Integrity checker says one of the field names is too long for AwareIM and of course I cant edit it.

Anybody hit this problem and found a work around?
/John
jclark58

Post by jclark58 »

OK that question was met with stunned silence. Try this..

Where does the length of field name limitation come from? Is is a hardcoded limitation in AwareIM? Is it the underlying database?
I am using the Derby DB, so if I changed to another DB such as MYSQL or MS SQL can I work around this?
/John
pbrad

Post by pbrad »

Hi,

I don't know if this helps but the maximum field name size in MySQL is 64 characters. I think that the maximum field name length in Derby may be 30 characters so perhaps that is what is causing your issue.

I found a link from google with the heading "Get rid of the Max lenght of 18 for constraint names" which points to http://osdir.com/ml/apache.db.derby.dev ... 00606.html

Hope that might help a little bit anyway (assuming that the restriction is coming from the underlying database and not AwareIM itself).

Cheers,
Pete
tford

Post by tford »

Just confirming that in the Configuration tool I just found out the max length of an attribute name is 30.

Tom
pbrad

Post by pbrad »

I am wondering if they set the max length to the lowest common denominator which is 30 with Derby. If so, did they hard code this into the code (unlikely) or set is as a value in some config file or xml file? If you could find that setting, you could likely change it to a higher number as long as you weren't using Derby. Where did you find this info Tom?

Pete
tford

Post by tford »

Trial and error.

I just went into the config tool and tried to create an attribute. When I tried to create one >30, it would not let me.

I am connected to Derby.

Tom
pbrad

Post by pbrad »

Hi Tom,

I assume that you are running Derby locally? I am running MySQL locally and it seems to accept attribute name lengths of any length for me. It is a bit of work to convert from Derby to MySQL so jclark, you might want to have Support confirm that this will fix your problem before going to the trouble of converting.

Pete
tford

Post by tford »

Pete,

Yes, I am running Derby locally.

Tom
pbrad

Post by pbrad »

Well,

Hopefully we are pointing John in the right direction at least.

Pete
jclark58

Post by jclark58 »

Hey Thanks Guys that at least gives me something to go on.
I am interested in using AwareIM on a system that a client has been struggling with limitations and long development times for thier intranet and legacy apps. If I can connect to their databases and show some examples of how AwareIM will help we might have a new customer

It would be interesting to get Supports perspective on this.
/John
jclark58

Post by jclark58 »

OK I have managed to "fix" this by reinstalling V4 beta with a local MYSQL DB and making external connections to the MS SQL DB. "Loverly, perfick"

(I did try the MSSQL DB as the AWAREIM DB but ran into permissions problems in the client environment)

Thanks for the lead guys!
/John
pbrad

Post by pbrad »

That's great. I would suggest loading a copy of phpmyadmin or other db admin tools so that you can monitor changes in the database and run db utilities occasionally.

Cheers,
Pete