Displaying attributes for referenced objects

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
Tom Morrison

Displaying attributes for referenced objects

Post by Tom Morrison »

I'm createing a solution that includes the use of referenced attributes in objects. Is there a easy way to have attributes of referenced objects displayed when they are referenced via a referenced attribute? I'm developing an events registration system.

Here are the business objects:
Event
 several attributes including "name", "StartDate", etc
Registrant
 several attributes
 with referenced attribute: MyRegistrations
Registration
 several attributes
 with referenced attribute: MyEvent

I'd like to display a Registrant and see the name of all events to which they have registered.

I'm guessing I could create a custom form for Registrant with something like: MyRegistrations.name, but I'm not sure. I've just installed the package and have started reading the User's Manual.

Thanks!
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Tom,

you can do the following:

1) Define a shortcut attribute in the Registration object called, for example, EventName. Define the path for this attribute as MyEvent.Name. In other words, this is a shortcut on the Registration object to the name of the referenced event
2) Open the Registrant object, go to the MyRegistrations attribute, open it for editing and click Presentation. On the Presentation dialog add the newly created EventName attribute to the list of displayed attributes of the Registration object (you can also add a few more).

That's it! At run time Aware IM will automatically show a list of Registrations associated with the Registrant and for each Registration it will show the attributes you indicated including the event name that will actually point to the event associated with the registration.

Best Regards
Aware IM Support Team
Tom Morrison

Thanks!

Post by Tom Morrison »

Gave your suggestion a try and it worked just fine!

Thanks for the quick response.

We're trying to decide on a new platform for developing and delivering web-based applications. We've used FileMaker alot, but not in a browser-based deployment mode. Servoy looks appealing, too. However, so far, I'm very impressed with AwareIM. The event registration system is a real need that will help us make a decision.

Too bad there aren't more reviews of AwareIM -- or at least I can't find them.

Thanks, again,
Tom