Upgrade client's BSV - Developer version of Aware IM

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
robv

Upgrade client's BSV - Developer version of Aware IM

Post by robv »

Hi

I am a new Aware Im developer. I have a couple of questions particular to the developer version.

I need to install my Aware IM generated application at a client who is in another country. When I am finished with the installation / implementation and return to my home country, how do I upgrade the client to our next version without being on site?

Do I merely ship a new .bsv? If so - where does this .bsv get installed? And if this is the way, surely it is easy for a third party to "hack" the .bsv using their own config tool, make adjustments and then replace the original with a faulty version?

If I am required to recreate a new distribution setup - can I bypass supplying all the server stuff so that it is a small setup file.

I will appreciate any help.
Regards
Rob
tford

Post by tford »

Rob,

In your scenario, will the server that AwareIM is running on be on the internet or just an in house server on a LAN?

Tom
robv

Post by robv »

Hi Tom
It will be on a server on the lan. I may have Remote Access via Win Remote Desktop but not guaranteed cause it is a government agency and they get sticky about access. But if necessary I will ensure they give access.
Rob
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

You just need to publish a new BSV. You don't need to ship it because you can publish it remotely from the browser (just make sure that your configuration for administrator includes a command to publish a version in the menu).

If you have to ship it, you can password protect the BSV as well.
Aware IM Support Team
tford

Post by tford »

Rob,

Any new BSV that you make has a menu called Standard in the Visual Perspective (VP) called Administrator. I do not change this as it will allow for easy posting of new BSV versions.

In general, the way to post a new BSV is to login to the application using a User Name & Password that is assocated with the Administrator VP.

Then select Standard | Upload Version. You will then be prompted for the BSV file & any description you want to provide for that version.

Assuming you remote into their LAN, you should be able to just open up a browser & login as described above. No need to open up the AwareIM configuration tool.

If you are not able to Remote in, but instead have someone else on their LAN that would have appropriate authority to upload a new BSV, you could email them the new BSV & they would follow the same procedure by opening up their browser & logging in. In fact, you could design a VP for them to log into that would only have 1 option -- to upload a new version of the BSV.

As far as security, it will be as secure as your control over passwords, etc. If you want to really go crazy, you can monitor the IP address of the users that login & only permit people with predetermined IP addresses. You can also set up passwords that expire after a certain amount of time or a certain number of uses.

Tom
robv

Post by robv »

Thanks Tom for that comprehensive reply.
tford

Post by tford »

FYI to new users trying to put their first BSV on a server that was developed on a local machine:

On your server:
1- Start Configuration Tool
2- Create new Business Space & make no changes to it -- just save it as is
3- Publish the new Business Space
4- Login to new Business Space using the Business Space name from #2.

Using this approach, you are not transferring anything over to the server "manually".

Once this is successful, then you don't even have to transfer your bsv from your local machine over to your server via FTP. You can do it through the AwareIM bsv menu you logged into:

1- Click on Standard
2- Click on Upload Version
3- DONE -- simply Login to new site & your bsv should be operational.

Tom