Can Linux Server updates break AwareIM?

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
harmonytech

Can Linux Server updates break AwareIM?

Post by harmonytech »

I have a Linux Server with a client that we're slowly developing, albeit with a few hiccups on the way mainly due to me learning about AwareIM (having never heard of it previous to this project).

The Distribution of Linux I am using has had an update in recent times and I would prefer updating the clients distro to bring it up to scratch with security and functionality.

I do have one qualm about it all. I don't want it to break AwareIM. Though I do keep backups of the Database, so restoring will be easy as reinstalling the distro, setting up a LAMP server and hopefully dumping the database back into MySQL, reinstalling AwareIM and restarting the service.

But if I can avoid that, it'll be great. So, would it be possible (or has anyone - not just AwareIM support) tested their Linux based AwareIM install to work after a major distro update?

I feel that nothing should affect AwareIW. But then again, the first hurdle I hit when I just got the server up and running was that AwareIM didn't even like me changing the IP Address of the server from my office IP address schema to the clients IP Addressing of their network.

Any thoughts on this?

Cheers
SteveC
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Any update of an operating system may cause major headaches with any piece of software. As far as Aware IM is concerned, it is unlikely that any data will be affected (unless MySQL no longer works after the update).

You should watch out for port conflicts and server name resolution in etc/host files (especially if you are running the Configuration Tool on the Windows client with remote access to the Linux server).
Aware IM Support Team
harmonytech

Post by harmonytech »

Thank you for helping.

I update servers all the time, but as AwareIM stopped working because of an IP address change, I didn't want to take the chance without asking first. I'd rather a system that is up to date and secure (especially with a customers sensitive data).

Cheers
SteveC